PDA

View Full Version : Turning necks

twarren
01-18-2020, 02:16 PM
Should you turn the necks on your brass before or after fire forming?

Ted_Feasel
01-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Should you turn the necks on your brass before or after fire forming?Typically after unless there is some need such as brass is thick to chamber. I would imagine though there are people on both sides of the logic there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

yobuck
01-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Be careful, or you could end up needing a bushing die in order to salvage your brass.

Robinhood
01-18-2020, 03:31 PM
If your chamber is a no neck turn chamber like 95 percent of all rifle chambers, I would consider buying better brass. Measure fired brass necks against loaded ammunition necks. Post what the difference is. This will tell all. If you must turn your necks do it after sizing and take less than 95% cleanup.

Ted_Feasel
01-18-2020, 03:44 PM
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/12/31/reloading-tips-from-top-precision-rifle-shooters/

This is a pretty good ready.. I've been told by some of the most successful people I know that one of the keys to success (besides the obvious.. hard work) is to find someone successful and mimic them.. maybe mimic isnt the best word but you probably get what I mean

gbflyer
01-18-2020, 04:09 PM
I’ve successfully gone backwards in terms of accuracy with neck turning for a chamber that doesn’t need it.

Running over a mandrel style sizer is a good idea before neck turning. Irons out the wrinkles[emoji1]

Robinhood
01-18-2020, 04:20 PM
I’ve successfully gone backwards in terms of accuracy with neck turning for a chamber that doesn’t need it.
Running over a mandrel style sizer is a good idea before neck turning. Irons out the wrinkleshttps://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji1.png

This is true

In the article from the PRS site highlighted above, this is stated

" Turning case necks is definitely a requirement for tight neck chambers. Cases are also neck turned to create uniform expansion. Lastly, in cases formed from a parent cartridge there is sometimes a need to remove excess wall thickness.”

Stumpkiller
01-18-2020, 09:59 PM
Should you turn the necks on your brass before or after fire forming?

Personally, I always fire the brass at least once before neck turning. I don't know that it matters but I fugue then the brass has been formed to the chamber and run through my neck sizing die at least once.

If I was necking down brass from another caliber I would definately do it before first loading in the new caliber.

Necking up to a larger caliber I'd probably stay with before the second reloading.

twarren
01-19-2020, 12:28 AM
Thanks there is a lot of good info here.

PhilC
01-19-2020, 10:28 AM
Measure fired brass necks against loaded ammunition necks. Post what the difference is. This will tell all.
Yep, first thing needs done.

yobuck
01-19-2020, 11:15 AM
If we take a fired case from the gun, then insert a bullet tip end first into the case and it goes in easily or falls right into the case, how much logic is there in turning necks for that gun?
I can understand the desire for accuracy, but at some point does it becomes mind over matter?
I would agree on using better brass as opposed to turning necks with factory chambers.

After thought, On factory chambers why wouldn’t truing up the inside of the neck work as well as truing the outside?
For that an attachment for many case trimmers is available.

Iowa Fox
01-19-2020, 08:33 PM
In a week or so I'll be specing out a reamer, For sure its going to be a no turn neck. I have turned necks and still have all the stuff but I'm not wasting my time on it anymore. Benchresters do it and 20 cases will last them all season or one barrel so its no big deal. I might do 20 cases for a tight neck chamber but as far as mopping down the high spots on 2 or 3 hundred cases all mine are getting is a squoosh in the Lee collet neck sizing die.

Ted_Feasel
01-19-2020, 09:24 PM
If we take a fired case from the gun, then insert a bullet tip end first into the case and it goes in easily or falls right into the case, how much logic is there in turning necks for that gun?
I can understand the desire for accuracy, but at some point does it becomes mind over matter?
I would agree on using better brass as opposed to turning necks with factory chambers.

After thought, On factory chambers why wouldn’t truing up the inside of the neck work as well as truing the outside?
For that an attachment for many case trimmers is available.It depends on which one gives you the best coaxial centering I would imagine that and even even release.. I've found I very mild crimp and give you as good of results as turning under alot of circumstances.. I have suspect that statement to catch some flack but I have seen the results on paper. With precision trimming, the right crimp cand insure nearly identical neck tentions

243winxb
01-23-2020, 09:50 AM
FL sizing is the only way the neck will be its proper length where it meets the shoulder. FL size, turn up to the shoulder.

Standard RCBS fl dies will size my neck turned 223 & 243 enough to hold a bullet. May or may not need the expander. Needs testing both ways.