PDA

View Full Version : Another new Savage!

shooter_john
10-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Hey guys, it's good to be back! (Been Remington-ing a little too much for a while...) A couple of weeks ago I stumbled into a gentleman wanting to trade his Savage Tactical in 30-06 for a Ruger GP100. I happened to have just what he was wanting sitting in my safe, which is where it has been for 99% of the time I've owned it.
I have rarely been as pleased with a rifle as I have been with my McGowen heavy barreled 116 that is also a 30-06, so I jumped on the opportunity to get another 'precision rifle' in '06. Moving on, the rifle arrived a couple of days ago and it has been exciting ever since. I spent over an hour cleaning it last night (something I don't think this rifle had ever seen) and I adjusted the trigger a little bit. It was already a very clean break but breaking at about 4 lbs., and I was able to get it down to 3.
It came with a one piece Leupold base and low rings, which I filled with a Nikon 3-9x40 until I can get up the cash to put something a little better on. My only gripe with this rifle is the stock... surprise, surprise. So my question to you guys is, what stocks are still available for this rifle. It is the older flat rear action (even has the flat head bolt (thingy whose correct name eludes me at the moment) instead of the hex headed version), and obviously a long action. I prefer to stick with a synthetic of some sort but I could do a laminate if that were the best option given.
Thanks for your help guys, I'll post a range report once I get to shoot it. Hopefully it will like the same loads that my McGowen loves so much just to make my life easier.

One last question for you guys... I assume this is a 1-10" twist, is that correct?
Thanks in advance and be safe!

dcloco
10-31-2010, 12:20 PM
You are in luck. So far, ALL long action Savage/Stevens share the same bolt spacing - 5.0", so, just shop for a long action stock that trips your fancy.

shooter_john
10-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Oh wow... I didn't realize that. So does matter as far as the differences in staggered feed vs. centerfeed then?

ellobo
10-31-2010, 08:59 PM
For a hunting rifle you cant go wrong with a Boyds, JRS model laminate or walnut model. They have them to fit you blind magazine rifle. If not for a hunting rifle look elsewear. SSS is one vendor, Stockys Stocks another. There are several that advertise here.

El Lobo