PDA

View Full Version : Axis triggers

Spudgun
01-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Been shooting model 12 F/V, 6.5 CM for about 2 years now. Love the trigger and shoot .5MOA at 600 yds.

Looking for another challenge on the 600 yd range.

I have a donor 308 win Axis and am thinking of re barring in 6mm Creedmoor and a heavy bull barrel.

The first thing I started on is the trigger. Trying to get it down to 2-3 lb mark.

Been playing with trigger springs for 3 hours now and can only get to 3.5 LB.

I have watched all the youtube videos and one that I'm thinking about is the Carbo trigger kit.

I also see Timney adjustable triggers that claim 1.5 - 5LB pull.

Anyone have any advise on what they have used to get to 1.5-2 LB on the axis trigger?

Anyone recommend a replacement trigger?

Jester560
01-14-2020, 09:26 PM
I have the Timney in mine and it is just a tou h under 2 pounds and passes all safety tests.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

91jperkins
01-14-2020, 10:37 PM
Look on eBay axis trigger spring like 8 bucks

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

hamiltonkiler
01-14-2020, 11:05 PM
Stock 2007 accu trigger
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200115/5bc10ec1f9f14db6f2da151d81f0fbf1.jpg
Notice
Plastic shims on both sides.
Ballpoint pen spring trimmed
Different screw to hold spring in place. With Allen head, weight 20gn

It breaks clean at 2#

NicfromAlabama
01-14-2020, 11:50 PM
I modified the factory trigger on mine, replacing the spring from a ball point pen. I think I got it down to 2 1/2 lbs.

Wanting more, I put in a Rifle Basix and have it at the advertised 14 oz. Unfortunately, it cost about 1/3 of what I paid for the rifle.

Nice as any 14 oz trigger can be though.

wildcatgoal
01-15-2020, 09:36 AM
I have the M*Carbo trigger kit on my Axis I and while it's made the trigger "light enough" it's still unrefined. But it is way better. Just not as good and crisp and light as the 12FV I played with at Cabelas yesterday and certainly not as light and crisp and smooth as the fancy pants trigger I got for my AR-15. But the M*Carbo kit does hold you over and resolves enough heaviness to make it a workable bench / field gun, IMO. With that said, you might benefit from smoothing out the current trigger. Once you take it apart, you'll see how the break works... and a little polishing sort of work could smooth it out enough that's still got a obvious break but takes less effort to cross that line. I didn't bother, personally.

Spudgun
01-15-2020, 09:51 AM
I just pulled the trigger on a Timney trigger (No pun intended)

I figured for a $100 bucks I could screw around with springs, shims and still not get what I wanted.

I have the Accu trigger on my 12FV set at 1.25 LBs and I dont think I would be happy with anything stronger on this gun build.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Timney-Triggers-633-for-Savage-Rifle-Edge-Axis-Trigger-Black-FREE-SHIPPING/233290674840

Jester560
01-15-2020, 10:53 AM
I have the Accu trigger on my 12FV set at 1.25 LBs and I dont think I would be happy with anything stronger on this gun build.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Timney-Triggers-633-for-Savage-Rifle-Edge-Axis-Trigger-Black-FREE-SHIPPING/233290674840

My Timney wouldn't go that low without slam fires. Just an FYI. I had to increase the weight a bit until it stopped. It is just shy of 2 lbs but is crisp and breaks clean.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spudgun
01-15-2020, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I could settle for 2 LB.

I think that is the advantage of a Accu trigger with the additional sear safety.

I did have that issue on my 12F/V if I went too low.

i will be aware of it now.

charlie b
01-15-2020, 10:21 PM
It is really noticeable when I go from the varmint trigger (1.5lb) on my 12BVSS to the std accutrigger (2.5lb) on my Axis. I have to really concentrate on my form with the Axis.

But, then I drag out the M1 Garand and realize how good both of those triggers are :)

NicfromAlabama
01-16-2020, 01:10 AM
But, then I drag out the M1 Garand and realize how good both of those triggers are :)

Haha, yeah, a true combat trigger. :p

CaptnC
01-31-2020, 11:52 AM
I have two Axis that I have customized and worked both triggers, installed the spring kits. I measured my most current build at 2.21lbs but it still has a ever so slight gritty feel. I have polished both contact point of the trigger. There is a slightly visible groove on the trigger that I didn't quite get all of, so that might be what is causing it.

but my question; has any one tried to drill the trigger to install a allen head screw like the Timmey triggers have?

Spudgun
01-31-2020, 08:48 PM
When I got the Timney trigger I looked at the rear adjustment for trigger pull.

There is not enough material to copy the Timney design.

I took a screw that would fit in the threads, filed down the threads so my new spring would fit over the filed off area.
Now my thought was I can now screw the modified adjustment screw and loosen or tighten the spring tension.

After trying several springs, even a ball point one. The issue was when I go down on the trigger pull the tension of the spring would not allow the sear to reset.

Worked on it for about 2 days and then said heck with it.

Ordered the Timney trigger and down to 1.3 lb pull and passes drop test.