PDA

View Full Version : Choate Chassis Stock Questions

bsekf
01-12-2020, 01:23 PM
Ready to start my Choate chassis stock project. I am using a blind magazine, so no bottom metal. Have done some research and hear of somebody using shims between recoil lug and the chassis, also some install pillars to stop crushing the plastic stock and I understand the torque on the actions screws is important. I am going to use this as a platform to work up loads since I have all LA stagger feed actions. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Robinhood
01-12-2020, 08:13 PM
Bill, are you using the stock with the aluminum bedding block? If so you should not need to add pillars.

You should not need shims unless your action is long in the front. If anything I would open up the boltholes a 32nd or put some bedding upfront and torque the action screws down to set.

bsekf
01-13-2020, 12:25 PM
I am talking about the chassis stock that uses the aluminum vee block.

I don't understand the pillars either, but the guy said he crushing the stock when he applied torque to the action screws. YouTube showed a guy putting cardboard shims between recoil lug and the chassis, I can see metal, but cardboard? I can see a problem with the fit between the lug and chassis, it will have to be square and tight.

Trying to pick the brains of those who have altered the chassis to make it shoot better. Right now, I am just going to get a new bottle of Prussian blue and make liberal use of it. I'll make sure the action bolts don't bind with the stock, enlarging the holes is a good idea. I am sure there is a "tinker" somewhere who has messed with these things.

Bill

Txhillbilly
01-13-2020, 12:45 PM
Bill,I have several Choate Tactical stocks and they all have a full length aluminum bedding block in them. You shouldn't have to do anything to them,just set your barreled action in it and torque down the action screws.

I've never even skim bedded any of them,they all shot great without any glass bedding.

Txhillbilly
01-13-2020, 12:50 PM
Unless they came out with a new stock,the only stocks that Choate makes for a Savage is the Tactical - Ultimate Varminter - and Ultimate Sniper stocks. They all have full length aluminum bedding blocks that run from the trigger/tang area out to near the end of the fore end area of the stock.