PDA

View Full Version : New Savage owner, 2004 model 11 in .243 caliber

mrlittlejohn
01-07-2020, 04:15 PM
I picked up a long desired replacement .243 caliber rifle at a pawn shop today. It is a Savage model 11, serial number puts it a 2004 model manufacturing.

It has what I believe is a replacement wood stock with the thumb hole grip, a tripod mounted on the fore of the stock and a Barska 3.5-10X50 scope. It is a nice looking gun to me.

I am wondering what concerns there are with this year model, if any. I have never owned a Savage centerfire rifle, only a rimfire 22 which I do like to shoot.

I would appreciate any input that the group has to offer to me !

Thanks in advance,
Mike

mrlittlejohn
01-07-2020, 04:51 PM
Speaking to Savage directly, I have discovered this S/N is for a Model 11 FYXP3

It was a synthetic stock, scoped youth model from the factory. The youth model doesn't bother me as I have shorter arms and plan to use this for deer hunting and the shorter 22" barrel is better for carrying through the woods.

Smokey262
01-07-2020, 08:21 PM
I would probably change the scope but except for that just shoot it and have fun

mrlittlejohn
01-07-2020, 11:18 PM
I would probably change the scope but except for that just shoot it and have fun

Done exactly that this evening. Replaced the Barska with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9X50 riflescope. Did a rough in bore sight to it and I can't wait to take it out to zero in.

Thanks,
Mike

strut64
01-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Enjoy your "new" to you rifle. If you reload then the process of getting to an accurate load. If you shoot factory try different .stuff.A lot of shooters start with federal "blue box". 243 is a versatile and effective cartridge.

mrlittlejohn
01-08-2020, 10:20 PM
Enjoy your "new" to you rifle. If you reload then the process of getting to an accurate load. If you shoot factory try different .stuff.A lot of shooters start with federal "blue box". 243 is a versatile and effective cartridge.

I have a few new boxes of Remington Core Loct rounds that I will see what they do first. I have a friend of mine who is going to start reloading with 2 kits I gave him. I will definitely try the federals out also. Then try some recipes to see what we can find that works best in this barrel.

I ordered some Sweet 7.62 cleaner to clean any brass build up (recommended by a good friend). Gave it a good cleaning and then an oil wipe down today. I will be ready to go to the range soon.

Thanks for your inputs !

Mike

GaCop
01-09-2020, 08:39 AM
Let us know how it shoots.

mrlittlejohn
01-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Let us know how it shoots.

You got it !

Mike

Texas10
01-11-2020, 08:54 AM
I found a very good load for my model 11 in .243 to be the 86gr V-Max over IMR4381. My son took his first buck at 220 yds with a well placed shot to the heart. Took two steps and dropped and made me a proud papa!

The tumbhole stock may be this one if it has pillars installed by the maker. https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhole-Varmint-Stock--Short-Action-1011121416_p_14233.html

Torque tuning the action screws will definitely make a difference in group size. https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Good luck with your new find!

wbm
01-11-2020, 09:28 AM
I found a very good load for my model 11 in .243 to be the 86gr V-Max over IMR4381.

It is.

Another load that is almost legendary with a lot of 243 shooters is the Sierra 85gr HPBT with 43.5gr of H4831. Not super fast but very accurate and deadly on deer size game.

mrlittlejohn
01-11-2020, 09:52 AM
I found a very good load for my model 11 in .243 to be the 86gr V-Max over IMR4381. My son took his first buck at 220 yds with a well placed shot to the heart. Took two steps and dropped and made me a proud papa!

The tumbhole stock may be this one if it has pillars installed by the maker. https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhole-Varmint-Stock--Short-Action-1011121416_p_14233.html

Torque tuning the action screws will definitely make a difference in group size. https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Good luck with your new find!

Thanks for the inputs all.

That is my stock ! Mine is a grey look. A very nice stock, great feel.

I realized I did not have any Remington ammo. I just ordered 2 boxed of the Federal blue box to take out and shoot as soon as I get access to our range to see how they do. We don't have shots over 150 yards here. If I can group to an inch at that distance, I will be very happy.

I wanted to post a picture of my find, but I don't see how to attach. Is that possible on here?

Mike

Texas10
01-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Click on reply and look at the tool bar in the quick reply box. See the one that looks like a square? Hover over it and it says "insert image". Click on it and open an image you want to share from your device. You may have to resize it to fit better. Don't use a full size, takes up too much room on the server.

Give it a try, you can always delete your post and redo if it doesn't come out like you want.

mrlittlejohn
01-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Click on reply and look at the tool bar in the quick reply box. See the one that looks like a square? Hover over it and it says "insert image". Click on it and open an image you want to share from your device. You may have to resize it to fit better. Don't use a full size, takes up too much room on the server.

Give it a try, you can always delete your post and redo if it doesn't come out like you want.

It looks for a URL

I guess I need to have a picture hosting site to paste to the board.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have any site to do that.

Mike