PDA

View Full Version : Changing / adding a bbl. on Accufit stocked rifle ?

Shooter0302
01-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Has anyone with an Accustock changed / added an after market Bbl. to your rifle and used a heavier that the Savage varmint barrel contour ??

PeaceAndGreens
01-08-2020, 12:44 PM
I’m interested to hear people’s experience as well. I’ve got a 110 Storm Accufit that I may change barrels on down the road (different contrours/same idea).

Shooter0302
01-08-2020, 11:42 PM
Just an FYI for farther dawn the road, I measures the inside of the Bbl. channel, and figure it should be able to accommodate either a heavy Palma or MTU 24 or 26" profile.

6mmBR_Shooter
01-09-2020, 10:57 PM
If the contour is too heavy and makes contact, you should be able to just take a large dowel or socket wrapped in sandpaper to open the barrel channel up.

GaCop
01-10-2020, 08:06 AM
I've been using a 1 inch sanding drum on a drill bit extension in my Dewalt drill for years to open up barrel channels. Takes just minutes to do the job.

Dave Hoback
01-13-2020, 12:17 PM
You’ll be fine. If it rubs, just sand the channel as has been said.

PeaceAndGreens
01-14-2020, 01:36 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe the question stems from the shape of the forend. On my 110 Storm, the top edge of the stock along the barrel is very narrow. Perhaps 1/16-1/8 of an inch. Sanding it out to accommodate a larger diameter barrel may mean sanding all the way through the stock in these areas. Once that happens, you’d be sanding away the top edge of the stock and getting close to the grippy rubber panels.

The more I think about it, it may be better to just stay with a spotter contour. A Shilen or Krieger is going to shoot no matter the contour.

hamiltonkiler
01-14-2020, 09:23 AM
Follow along.
Take barreled action out of stock.
Wrap your barrel with tape as big as you need it. In a ring fashion, preferably near the end where it lays in the stock.
Pour the bottom of the plastic forend with 24hr cure epoxy.
Put the barreled action back in the stock and tighten it to spec.

The tape on the barrel should press the stock plenty away from the sides of the plastic stock forend evenly.
When the epoxy cures it will hold that flex away from the barrel.

Cheers

I have added aluminum tubing in the bottom and lead depending on where you might want weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeaceAndGreens
01-14-2020, 11:06 AM
Woah, I never thought of that, but it sounds like that would work! Thanks for the idea

Dave Hoback
01-14-2020, 12:00 PM
I don’t believe that is likely to work like you envision it. You can’t “push” the material out of the way. The stock has already been molded. 2-part epoxy will not hold the shape of a larger barrel. The material must be removed!

hamiltonkiler
01-14-2020, 12:14 PM
That won’t work like you envision it. You can’t “push” the material out of the way. The stock has already been molded. 2-part epoxy will not hold the shape of a larger barrel. The material must be removed!

Thanks but I’ve done multiple with success.
Yes if it’s a full size blank then no your right it won’t fit. Heavy varmint fits.
This is if your stocks flex hits one side or the other because of the crappy mold. To center it and get some pressure down it works like a champ. I’ve even wedged them open on the sides and JB welded little aluminum arrow pieces in place to hold it.
I’ve used bond and little rods to rebuild sides. Sand and paint.

Cheers
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200114/64b7e8f7a5c17953c313b44af7b94fc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
01-14-2020, 07:36 PM
Ok...I got ya. Well if it worked for you, cool.

Seems like extra work though..over just sanding to fit. But if it works for said situation, Cudos! I do understand you on “rebuilding” sides. I’ve done the same with epoxy on many different projects. Works great in that regard.