PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Winchester/ Hodgdon Sta Ball 6.5 powder?

LuvmyLRP
01-06-2020, 10:30 AM
I can't find a whole lot of info on this new powder. One vid on YouTube and it is very informative, but does not get into groups, just temp stability. I may get a pound to try if any can be located. The tests on utube showed it not to be as temp stable as H4350, but it may be a sub if another drought comes along. Anyone shot any yet?

wbm
01-06-2020, 02:35 PM
Hodgdon has loads for it in a variety of cartridges.

About that video. What is said at the end is exactly what he said about H4350 Extreme when it came out so now all of a sudden it is his "go to" powder for comparison.

He should send his test methods and results to Hodgdon and request a recall and ask
for a refund. In fact, I think I will send it to Hodgdon for him and see what happens.

Contacted Hodgdon and sent them the video....interested to see what the response is.

LuvmyLRP
01-07-2020, 07:33 AM
I just found an in depth test by one of the members on the 6.5 Creedmoor forum. Very good stuff in it. https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=11341.0

Fuj'
01-07-2020, 08:41 AM
I just found an in depth test by one of the members on the 6.5 Creedmoor forum. Very good stuff in it. https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=11341.0

Yeah, that's probably Dave over there. He's pretty truth full
on his research. And living in Northern, North Dakota, he's
got the temps for the test.....A few others I know including
myself need more time. I personally want to see how it stacks
up with H4831 and the 150 class bullets in the Creedmoor.

charlie b
01-08-2020, 08:51 AM
It does seem that Hogdon is revamping most of their products to give better temperature stability. That is one of the big reasons why I use Varget for so much of my shooting. The newer powders have the copper reduction in them, whatever that is. CFJunkie is the only person I know who has a lot of experience with both types of Hogdon powders and he seems to like how the newer stuff shoots.