PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote or Duracoat

8mm RUM
01-03-2020, 10:25 AM
You can get them both in an air-dry form, which is the way I would go.
Both are applied with air and are similar in cost.
The Duracoat sounds a bit "Softer" and a bit simpler in the application.
Both have colors I like and can be applied over plastic as well as steel. Which one would you try and why?:confused:

snowgetter1
01-08-2020, 01:14 PM
I have no experience with Ceracoat. I do have a lot of experience with Duracoat and KG Gunkote. I found on my two go to duck/goose guns which both saw very hard use, that DURACOAT is really not any better than regular spray paint. This was probably about 8 years of use one being duracoat and one spray paint. Nearly equal wear on barrel and actions. Neither duracoat or spray paint is very scratch resistant. I have since repainted the metal with kg guncoat and it is definitely tougher. I have abandoned duracoat because of the cost and just use regular spray paint. If you get a good two part automotive clear coat it does wonders on preserving your paint. That is the same stuff they spray over hydrodip. If your gun will not see real hard use any of your choices will work.

jkv45
01-08-2020, 03:06 PM
I have no experience with Ceracoat. I do have a lot of experience with Duracoat and KG Gunkote. I found on my two go to duck/goose guns which both saw very hard use, that DURACOAT is really not any better than regular spray paint. This was probably about 8 years of use one being duracoat and one spray paint. Nearly equal wear on barrel and actions. Neither duracoat or spray paint is very scratch resistant. I have since repainted the metal with kg guncoat and it is definitely tougher. I have abandoned duracoat because of the cost and just use regular spray paint. If you get a good two part automotive clear coat it does wonders on preserving your paint. That is the same stuff they spray over hydrodip. If your gun will not see real hard use any of your choices will work.
For the DIYer without a compressor and spray gun, this spray can 2k (2-part catalyzed) clear is a good choice - https://www.spraymax.com/en/products/product/clear-coats-and-spot-blender/2k-clear-coat/

I've purchased it locally at an Auto Body Supply store, but it's available from Amazon and others as well. Used it on a motorcycle fairing over a Duplicolor base, and it has held up nicely. Great shine from the Gloss Clear, but the Matte would most likely be a better choice for a stock.

Single-use, but it will last a few days or more once activated.

DeltaPapa
01-08-2020, 07:28 PM
I've had Duracoat applied to 2 different rifle stocks; a Czech Republic camo job done to my CZ and a solid brown to my Remington...I got tried of black rifle stocks.
The paint is initially oven baked and requires 30 days to be fully cured although the rifle can be reassembled in one week.
I paid $125 for the camo paint job and $50 for the single solid color.
My rifles are lightly used so cannot attest to durability for rough field usage.

jpdown
01-08-2020, 11:32 PM
As a DIY project on several guns, I have used Duracoat, Gunkote an most recently tried Cerakote. The advantage I see over regular spray paint is that they are more resistant to oils and solvents used to clean and lube guns. Duracoat has held up well on gun stocks. Never used it on metal. It does not require oven baking like the others. Gunkote has worked well on metal parts. You need to blast with 120 grit AO and pretreat with K-Phos for the most durable finish. With Duracoat and Gunkote you can respray the part after cured if finish is damage. This is not recommended with Cerakote after cured. Cerakote is more prep intensive and harder to work with than Gunkote. I doubt an air cured gun finish will be as durable as a bake-on finish.

Robinhood
01-09-2020, 06:58 AM
^^This is what I have fund to be true.