PDA

View Full Version : 6 Creed. bbls, how mant rounds ??

Shooter0302
01-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Those with OME 6 Creed Bbl's, how many rounds did you have to fire before it stopped taking about a half a day of cleaning before you got it clean ?
really thinking about "fire lapping" it.

Jester560
01-01-2020, 07:34 PM
Stop worrying about cleaning so much and just shoot the thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AllenOne1
01-01-2020, 09:41 PM
Those with OME 6 Creed Bbl's, how many rounds did you have to fire before it stopped taking about a half a day of cleaning before you got it clean ?
really thinking about "fire lapping" it.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and it has taken 1930 rounds to get it to stop taking half a day to clean. I'm going to swap the barrel for an aftermarket to fix the cleaning issue. Still shoots good but I'm ready for a change.

Shortbox4x4
01-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Be careful with fire lapping. I’ve seen it prematurely wear the throat of the chamber area of the barrel. If the barrel is that bad or towards the end of it’s life then I’ll say you got nothing to lose.

Some barrels the bore and or chamber is so rough they never settle down/break in per say.

I’d ask this question to yourself. So it cleans like hell but does it lose accuracy though during shooting? If you can put say 60-100 rounds thru it with out losing accuracy then I would just clean it and shoot it. So it’s a pain to clean. As long as it’s not losing accuracy you don’t have a fouling problem per say. If the accuracy starts going sour with in 15-20 rounds then you have issues.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Shooter0302
01-01-2020, 11:31 PM
Be careful with fire lapping. I’ve seen it prematurely wear the throat of the chamber area of the barrel. If the barrel is that bad or towards the end of it’s life then I’ll say you got nothing to lose.

Some barrels the bore and or chamber is so rough they never settle down/break in per say.

I’d ask this question to yourself. So it cleans like hell but does it lose accuracy though during shooting? If you can put say 60-100 rounds thru it with out losing accuracy then I would just clean it and shoot it. So it’s a pain to clean. As long as it’s not losing accuracy you don’t have a fouling problem per say. If the accuracy starts going sour with in 15-20 rounds then you have issues.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

This Bbl. can't stand any longer throat, I can barely touch the lands and still have .24" of full Cal. bullet in the case neck. I was going to try the HbN treatment but will, instead, load about 50 Rds. with the powder/bullet combo that shot the best, shoot 10 at 100, on paper, then 40 at 600 on steel, then back to 100 on paper to see what it does.

Shortbox4x4
01-02-2020, 08:44 AM
This Bbl. can't stand any longer throat, I can barely touch the lands and still have .24" of full Cal. bullet in the case neck. I was going to try the HbN treatment but will, instead, load about 50 Rds. with the powder/bullet combo that shot the best, shoot 10 at 100, on paper, then 40 at 600 on steel, then back to 100 on paper to see what it does.

That’s a typical factory chamber or what some are called production chambers. Then you have nothing to lose. I’ve seen guys fire lap the barrels and prematurely wear the throat +030” longer with only firing 6 rounds of ammo thru it.

That’s why I tell guys. You fire lap one of our barrels and it’s yours. Don’t call with any problems. We cannot control what the shooter does and how he does it. If you think your having a problem with one of our barrels I’d prefer the customer to call and go over it before they start doing things that either cause problems or make the problem worse and it cannot be fixed.

Let us know how your test goes.

Robinhood
01-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Frank, what do you think about JB bore paste?

wbm
01-02-2020, 04:14 PM
http://coyotestuff.com/carbon-fouling-removal/ (http://coyotestuff.com/carbon-fouling-removal/)

Shortbox4x4
01-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Frank, what do you think about JB bore paste?

Deep subject...so here is the short version. I recommend no bore paste type cleaner. The only type even close that I would recommend/use are either Remington 40x cleaner (use to be called Gold Medallion years past) and JB BoreCompound not the Bore Brite. Two different things on the JB.

With any paste type cleaner for sure if you use a brush and an abrasive it’s guaranteed bore damage!!!!!!! No way around it. I’ve seen guys wreck barrels with in 100 rounds of the barrel being new! I tell guys you use a paste cleaner it’s yours. Don’t call me with a problem. Some guys say why? Then I won’t buy a barrel from you! Because we have no control over what the shooter is doing to the rifle and how he’s cleaning it. Some are more aggressive or should I say careless in how they do the cleaning. We cannot be held liable for how a guy cleans it.

The other thing that happens with the paste cleaners that each time you use some of them you are basically polishing/lapping the bore. You can make the bore too smooth and it will cause a fouling situation. Once this usually happens you cannot fix it. Very rarely have we been able to save a barrel.

I’ve got three barrels in the shop (good show and tell pieces) that I keep to show people what happens when you do things and do them wrong. I’m off tomorrow but if you want a picture I can send you one. In this guys case/defense he followed the cleaning instructions to the letter on the cleaner. It was KG2 bore paste. He cleaned the barrel after every 25 rounds fired. It was a 7mm/284win F class barrel. He used a brush with the paste cleaner every time. The barrel started having accuracy issues at 100 rounds. At 800 rounds he physically polished a full .002” out of the bore (tops of the lands) and .0015” out of the grooves. So instead of the barrel measuring .277 x .284 it now measures .279 x .2855. The lands because they stick up took a real beating with gouges from the brush and the abrasive just tearing gouges into them.