PDA

View Full Version : Savage headhunter rebarrel

Klondike
12-31-2019, 09:36 PM
Need some feedback. Have a bear hunter in 338 win. Good shooter and I have cut the brake off as well so a 20" barrel. Thinking about ordering a 26" 28 nosler barrel knowing I can always go back to the 338. The bear hunter contour doesn't quite measure to a full varmint contour. The decision seems to be between varmint and a heavy spotted contour.

Any strong opinions from experience or observation this will be a hunting / very babied target rifle. I have other high volume rifles for range work

Btw nothing like the horrendous spell changing. Bear hunter

Ted_Feasel
12-31-2019, 09:54 PM
Need some feedback. Have a bear hunter in 338 win. Good shooter and I have cut the brake off as well so a 20" barrel. Thinking about ordering a 26" 28 nosler barrel knowing I can always go back to the 338. The bear hunter contour doesn't quite measure to a full varmint contour. The decision seems to be between varmint and a heavy spotted contour.

Any strong opinions from experience or observation this will be a hunting / very babied target rifle. I have other high volume rifles for range work

Btw nothing like the horrendous spell changing. Bear hunterI would just have a 11° target crown cut and call it a day

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Klondike
12-31-2019, 10:19 PM
Sorry through all the bad autocorrect

Was simply asking about contour. Will be a recessed crown in 28 nosler

bc160
01-01-2020, 01:09 AM
The contour really comes down to the intent for the barrel and how much weight your willing to carry. If weight is an issue then run the smaller contour. If it isn't the varmit contour will do great. With all things equal you shouldn't notice an accuracy difference between the first 2 or 3 shots. After that the Sporter contour may heat up enough to cause the groups to wander some.
With that said I have a "magnum" profile 28 nosler and it shoots well with the 3 shots the magazine holds with no impact shift. That's well enough for me and my type of hunting.
Good luck with your choice and I think you will like the nosler round.

Klondike
01-01-2020, 01:04 PM
Thank you for the replies. well versed in countour give and takes. was wondering specifically whether anyone with a bear hunter had made a rebarrel choice with this stock between savage heavy sporter and savage varmint contour

happy new year!

RustyShackle
01-01-2020, 05:34 PM
You want to part ways with that brake?

Klondike
01-01-2020, 06:31 PM
I actually already cut the brake off of the 338winmag. Makes a very nice handling gun that still shoots great and velocity loss hasnt been a big deal. I wont brake the 28nosler

bc160
01-01-2020, 10:56 PM
Klondike,
I think I misunderstood your original post. Are you talking the stock profile? If that's the case it's again really up to you. The Sporter channels can be opened up to fit most any barrel profile. On the other hand if you go the varmit route and there is to much gap between the stock and barrel you could always bed it to fit. Good luck with the project