PDA

View Full Version : Hogue Pillar Bedded Stock

Bullchaser65
12-31-2019, 03:05 PM
Hi all. I recently threw on a Hogue Pillar Bedded stock but realized I should have gone with the full bed block or a totally different stock. First off, when i tighten the front action screw, the bolt becomes fairly tight (almost too tight to get out). Second, the barrel sits crooked in the stock (sometimes the barrel touches the side of the stock while the other side has plenty of room). Lastly, when I use a bipod, the stock flexes A LOT. I have a 110 LA flat back (would say 60s-70s) with the stock sporter barrel. I ended up building a totally new custom rifle becuase i couldnt trust this hunting, but I want to get this thing figured out (without investing a ton of money) so i can take it on trips that im afraid to take the custom rifle on.

Let me know what you guys think! THANKS!

Stumpkiller
12-31-2019, 09:48 PM
You may have to shorten your front action screw by one thread length. Take a rasp to the barrel channel and clear the barrel.

But the flex with a bipod won't hurt anything so long as it doesn't warp enough to touch the barrel.

What you may be able to do is shim the barrel with five or six wraps of masking tape to center it in the channel and glass bed the action.

Bullchaser65
01-03-2020, 12:31 PM
You may have to shorten your front action screw by one thread length. Take a rasp to the barrel channel and clear the barrel.

But the flex with a bipod won't hurt anything so long as it doesn't warp enough to touch the barrel.

What you may be able to do is shim the barrel with five or six wraps of masking tape to center it in the channel and glass bed the action.

Thanks Stump. Thats actually what I was thinking about doing to the front action screw after seeing others with similar issues online.

Unfortunately, the flex with the bipod causes the barrel to his the side of the stock depending on the angle of the rifle with the bipod on. Upon further inspection, the original gunsmith who threw this stock on (and supposedly glassed it) did an extremely shitty job glassing it and caused the action to sit crooked. Is it possible to get rid of the glass and starting over again or not worth it?

Stumpkiller
01-03-2020, 02:00 PM
The best thing about glass/epoxy bedding is 30 minutes with a Dremel and a carbide burr and you are ready to start over. I did my Savage in three phases. Used a drill press to open up the action screw holes and bedded aluminum posts in them with shims and masking tape to center the receiver and barrel. Then I glass bedded the action. Then I glass bedded the "bottom metal".

95% of the glass bedding job is preparation and "dry runs" before you ever mix the components.

Happily, in doing so BEFORE I bedded anything I found the rear pillar was too large to allow the sear to trip! I had to notch it. That would have been a REAL pain to correct once it had been bedded.

https://i.imgur.com/Le3NIDJ.jpg