PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 308

guitarman1562
12-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Hello! I’m excited to be in this group. I have an 11 308 and can not get groups under 2 inches. My other rifle shoots 0.5 inch groups.

I like the Savage a lot how it feels. I have a vortex Viper with PMR rings and 20 moa base. The mounting has been checked and redone. I have tried three different ammo types including Hornady, Nosler and Remington.

Has anyone had this issue and been able to get tighter groups? I’m aiming for sub moa as when I’m out to 500 it really gets whacky.

I would appreciate any tips or ideas to fix this.

thanks!!

Robinhood
12-31-2019, 02:56 PM
No issues with the rifle but plenty with the scope. Test the scope on the .5 MOA rifle. Use the scope off of the .5 MOA rifle on the new 308. What is your load? Does the new rifle have pillars? Are you shooting off o bipod or bags? Is there a difference in triggers?

Shortbox4x4
12-31-2019, 03:39 PM
If you tried a different scope and checked the mounts then rule that out. If you haven’t take a scope that is a known good scope and mount and shoot the gun. If you have then again check it off the list.

Is the stock pillar bedded? If not check the stock fit and action screws torque for proper fit and tightness.

Barrel full floated?

Any muzzle crown damage? I’ve seen plenty of factory barrels and even custom gunsmithing work where the crowns are not properly done. I’ve seen barrels that would shoot in the .2xx’s and the crown is damaged so slightly that the rifle wouldn’t shoot any better than 1.25” at a 100 yards.

Your tried different ammo...try any handloads?

How does the barrel clean? Is it coppering up really heavy? If it’s building copper on tops of the lands that is a accuracy killer right there.

Does it start out shooting good and the groups walk/go sour on you? If so that could be signs of a lot of stress in the barrel.

After all that now your getting into the bolt, receiver and possibly other barrel issues.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

houser52
12-31-2019, 04:34 PM
Hello! I’m excited to be in this group. I have an 11 308 and can not get groups under 2 inches. My other rifle shoots 0.5 inch groups.

I like the Savage a lot how it feels. I have a vortex Viper with PMR rings and 20 moa base. The mounting has been checked and redone. I have tried three different ammo types including Hornady, Nosler and Remington.

Has anyone had this issue and been able to get tighter groups? I’m aiming for sub moa as when I’m out to 500 it really gets whacky.

I would appreciate any tips or ideas to fix this.

thanks!!

Sorry to hear that you're having the same problem as I'm having with my Model 11 in 260 Rem. I posted about it a few days ago with my accuracy problems and the things that I have tried. Well, today I mounted a different scope on it and shot it a half dozen times or so with no group better than 2" at 100 yds.
The only left for me to try is a new stock so I placed my order for a new B&C a little while ago. If the new stock doesn't help to improve accuracy I'll sell it and be done.

Shortbox4x4
12-31-2019, 05:03 PM
The drop in stocks with the aluminum bedding blocks etc...to me are a 50/50 shot they will help. It can help. It can make things worse. I’ve seen action screw holes not line up. I’ve seen issues with the recoil lug area as well.

If you have a good gunsmith local to you take the rifle to him and have them look it over. Sometimes it’s something as simple as fixing the crown on the barrel.

charlie b
12-31-2019, 05:47 PM
First, try the ammo that Savage uses for testing.

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214237403-What-is-the-recommended-ammunition-for-my-firearm-

If that does not group then call Savage and see what they will do.

Just an FYI, Savage does seem to have an accuracy spec on rifles. This one is 1.5" at 100yd.

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214238963-11-111-Lightweight-Hunter-Specifications

guitarman1562
01-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Thank you!! Really appreciate the feedback and tips. So I took the action off and found the barrel had small marks right at the end where the stock is.

Do you think this could be the issue? I sanded it out to make more room. It’s free floated but maybe when I shoot it still has contact somehow.

thanks!

guitarman1562
01-01-2020, 06:28 PM
If you tried a different scope and checked the mounts then rule that out. If you haven’t take a scope that is a known good scope and mount and shoot the gun. If you have then again check it off the list.

Is the stock pillar bedded? If not check the stock fit and action screws torque for proper fit and tightness.

Barrel full floated?

Any muzzle crown damage? I’ve seen plenty of factory barrels and even custom gunsmithing work where the crowns are not properly done. I’ve seen barrels that would shoot in the .2xx’s and the crown is damaged so slightly that the rifle wouldn’t shoot any better than 1.25” at a 100 yards.

How does the barrel clean? Is it coppering up really heavy? If it’s building copper on tops of the lands that is a accuracy killer right there.

Does it start out shooting good and the groups walk/go sour on you? If so that could be signs of a lot of stress in the barrel.

After all that now your getting into the bolt, receiver and possibly other barrel issues.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

thanks Frank! I found that the barrel had some marks on each side where the stock ends. It is full floated but I’m thinking that when I shoot or load the rifle it still touches since the stock is not bedded. Thoughts?

guitarman1562
01-01-2020, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear that you're having the same problem as I'm having with my Model 11 in 260 Rem. I posted about it a few days ago with my accuracy problems and the things that I have tried. Well, today I mounted a different scope on it and shot it a half dozen times or so with no group better than 2" at 100 yds.
The only left for me to try is a new stock so I placed my order for a new B&C a little while ago. If the new stock doesn't help to improve accuracy I'll sell it and be done.

Really hope the stocks help. I think the stock is flimsy so it touches the barrel.

guitarman1562
01-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Will do thank you! I found that there were marks on each side of the barrel. It is free floated but I think it needed more room so I sanded it out. I have groups where two shots will stack and one is way off. Do you think this may be why?

guitarman1562
01-01-2020, 06:32 PM
First, try the ammo that Savage uses for testing.

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214237403-What-is-the-recommended-ammunition-for-my-firearm-

If that does not group then call Savage and see what they will do.

Just an FYI, Savage does seem to have an accuracy spec on rifles. This one is 1.5" at 100yd.

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214238963-11-111-Lightweight-Hunter-Specifications

Very helpful thank you! I’ll look at this ammo and see if I can dial it in. I found on the barrel that there were marks on each side so I think it was touching while shooting. I sanded it out so I’m hoping that was the issue. What’s weird is that it is fully free floated while sitting in the bipod. I think when it shoots the recoil makes it touch as the stock is not bedded and definitely flimsy. This would also explain why multiple types of ammo won’t get it close.

houser52
01-01-2020, 06:49 PM
Really hope the stocks help. I think the stock is flimsy so it touches the barrel.

My barrel was not centered in the factory stock and was almost touching on one side. I took sand paper and wrapped it around a piece of pvc pipe and opened up the barrel channel. The barrel free floats enough that 2 business cards will pass along the length of the barrel all the way back to the lug. Didn't help the groups one bit, zero, nada.

My B&C stock is supposed to ship Thursday and be here next week. Keeping my fingers crossed that'll tighten the groups.

Nathan gravitt
01-01-2020, 08:28 PM
Guitar man, pm me. I think you are trying to buy a stock from me on ebay

guitarman1562
01-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Guitar man, pm me. I think you are trying to buy a stock from me on ebay

Nathan,

Not sure how to PM. Are you able to PM me?

Thanks,

Nathan gravitt
01-01-2020, 08:57 PM
no, it must be because you just opened your account. email me at nathangravitt@gmail.com

Nathan gravitt
01-01-2020, 09:02 PM
It won't let me pm you either. savage shooters won't let me give you my email address.

Tannhauser
01-07-2020, 10:36 AM

Barrel full floated?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Excellent advice, and essentially what I would be trying if this was my rifle. Frankly, assuming no major issues with stock, I’d be less inclined to think was caused by light contact and would focus initially on scope, mount and barrel.

Tannhauser
01-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Very helpful thank you! IÂ’ll look at this ammo and see if I can dial it in. I found on the barrel that there were marks on each side so I think it was touching while shooting. I sanded it out so IÂ’m hoping that was the issue. WhatÂ’s weird is that it is fully free floated while sitting in the bipod. I think when it shoots the recoil makes it touch as the stock is not bedded and definitely flimsy. This would also explain why multiple types of ammo wonÂ’t get it close.

With flexible budget stocks, IÂ’d recommend trying a few groups off bags with the rifle supported closer to the action. As a bipod supports the rifle at the far end of the stock, the flexibility of budget stocks is often enhance with greater displacement due to the longer cantilever.

IÂ’ve been able to shoot very tight groups from some budget rigs using bags. Of course if the rifle has issues off a bipod and you want to shoot off a bipod that’s an issue, but at least shooting off bags can help diagnose is it stock or or is it something else.