PDA

View Full Version : Center feed stock on stagger feed action?

OldDog
12-26-2019, 06:39 PM
I look at rapid fire on Boyds Stocks sight,and see more center feed stocks for the blind box 110,and I wonder what ,if any modifications can be done to use one on a staggered feed rifle.Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag...I appreciate all advice any one can offer.Thank you.

jpdown
12-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Since your 7mm Rem Mag is a long action, stagger feed it should have a 5.0” action screw spacing. A long action, center feed also has 5.0” spacing. Therefore you should be able to put a Savage LA, SF in a Boyd’s LA, CF, blind magazine stock with top bolt release. However, it may require some Dremel work inside the blind magazine stock well to get the SF magazine which is attached to the action to fit. This is because the dimensions of the blind magazine well on a CF stock are usually slightly smaller in my experience. I have put several Savage LA, CF barreled actions in the older LA, SF, BM stocks. But, I never tried to put a LA, SF into a LA, CF stock. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with first-hand knowledge.

OldDog
12-26-2019, 08:58 PM
Thank you jpdown

twchristian
12-26-2019, 10:09 PM
I asked basically the same question on a different thread. Can one just take the SF mag off of the action and use a CF mag?

Robinhood
12-26-2019, 11:11 PM
I believe you will have to move the front of the mag well forward something like a 1/4 inch.

jpdown
12-26-2019, 11:38 PM
I asked basically the same question on a different thread. Can one just take the SF mag off of the action and use a CF mag?

I believe you were asking about trying to convert an older, first generation Savage SF in 223 to 300 WSM center feed. It is not feasible, or as simple as buying a WSM, CF magazine and putting it in a SF, blind magazine stock. It would be cheaper and safer to just buy a Savage rifle already configured in 300 WSM.

mnbogboy2
12-28-2019, 01:15 PM
In addition to opening up the mag well, serious consideration should be taken on pillar bedding the Boyd's stock.
Three reasons to pillar are;
1. The C.F. stock will not touch the rear action where the rear action screw is threaded in. This is because the magazine tab used on the C.F. will not be used. A spacer washer will work as a replacement but not as well as a properly fit pillar.
2. The Boyd's stocks, as most wood stocks, can easily "crack" in the area between the trigger guard and mag well if slightly over torqued. A properly installed pillar will prevent this and allow more torque.
3. Pillar bedding will help maintain consistent action screw torque and minimize change with recoil & weather.