PDA

View Full Version : SSS single shot ramp installation

Bill2905
12-23-2019, 11:48 AM
I recently installed a SSS single shot ramp in a Model 10 receiver and used it at the range yesterday. It worked great and now I wish I had done this a long time ago. I used a hot glue gun to secure it in place and it stayed during the entire range session. When I was cleaning up afterward, it came loose and I need to fasten it again. I will clean the metal surfaces and make one more attempt using the hot glue.

Are there any other suggestions out there for a better way to do this?

daved20319
12-23-2019, 12:21 PM
I've got a 12 FV in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, so blind mag. I removed the mag and filled the cavity with enough modeling clay to hold the sled in place, works great and has never moved. On my Howa Mini, I made my own, for now, it's held in place with some high quality aluminum tape. That said, I haven't had the Howa to the range since I machined the sled, so I don't know how well it will stay in place. And in the meantime, I'm customizing a new stock for it, it'll be a dedicated single shot setup, and the sled will get bedded with the action. Good luck.

yobuck
12-23-2019, 01:15 PM
Ive got a few made from hard maple that have help up well for many years.
Think about what roller rink floors and bowling alleys are made from.
Metal would be better however on stocks having a magazine cutout.

sharpshooter
12-23-2019, 07:36 PM
Easiest way to hold it up mechanically is to insert a block of foam in the magwell.

Bill2905
12-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Easiest way to hold it up mechanically is to insert a block of foam in the magwell.

After reading the idea about filling the Maxwell with clay, I had a similar thought about using foam. I will work on that this evening. Thank you.

Bill2905
12-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Magwell that is. I hate auto correct.

Bill2905
12-23-2019, 10:57 PM

I put a foam block in as suggested and it supported things pretty well. It would have been completely fine.

Then another idea. I put the magazine spring and follower back into the mag well and observed that the follower stands quite proud relative to the magazine cut on the receiver. Put it all together, set it down on top of the follower to compress the spring, and bolted it into the stock. Problem solved and the support is very solid.

blvedere
12-24-2019, 12:10 AM
"oops" , could not fined the delete button.

blvedere
12-24-2019, 12:14 AM
I put a foam block in as suggested and it supported things pretty well. It would have been completely fine.

Then another idea. I put the magazine spring and follower back into the mag well and observed that the follower stands quite proud relative to the magazine cut on the receiver. Put it all together, set it down on top of the follower to compress the spring, and bolted it into the stock. Problem solved and the support is very solid.
That's the way mine are installed, I think that is the way they were to be installed