PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Hunter -- Thoughts as LR hunting rifle?

Brydawg512
12-23-2019, 01:06 AM
Hello all,

I've been eyeing the 110 Hunter in 300 WM as my new hunting rifle. Eventually, I'd like to start "semi-customing" it, if you will. What is accuracy like out of the box? Is 500-600 yards out of the box expectable with this rifle? Additionally, I'm trying to get an understanding about the magazine models versus the hinged floor plates. Does one limit COAL more than the other? Are aftermarket stocks easier to find for one over another?

Thanks in advance

wbm
12-23-2019, 08:48 AM
What is accuracy like out of the box? Depends on each individual rifle.

Is 500-600 yards out of the box expectable with this rifle? A 300 Win Mag will be quite adquate at those distances.

Magazines: Does one limit COAL more than the other? No.

Are aftermarket stocks easier to find for one over another? Yes. Bigger choice with non hinged floor plate.

Robinhood
12-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Adding to WBM's comments, When customizing a modern Savage you need to be sure of what model you have or you need to begin with one that is the easiest to get parts for. The actions are made from the same print but top bolt release seams to be the easiest to get stocks and chassis for. Some magazine/bottom metal/DMB/floor plates/yadayada have fewer options in the aftermarket so choosing your base model is important. In the end buyin a model that does what you want and leaving it that way is the best option.

If you want to do a custom build you are going to start with an action and build from there. Take that from the guys who have spent thousands on Savages that are worth hundreds.(the reason you see Savage components everywhere is you have to strip them down to get anything back on them.)

Stumpkiller
12-23-2019, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't believe so. There aren't many rifles that can go from box to field with no sighting corrections or load selection to make sure it can hit the vitals of a game animal at 600 yards..

If you mean "with no additional modifications but after long range sessions and practice at 600 yards to verify zeroing and first round placement" . . . then, yes. In the right hands. And with a two-foot vital zone on your prey and a very solid rest. :tea:

Robinhood
12-23-2019, 04:05 PM
I have a friend that has an Ruger American Preditor that stays on a 6 inch plate at 600 yards all day long. He has a NF on top that helps.

Brydawg512
12-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Thank you all for the responses. I may look at other brands of rifles from these reports.

js223
01-05-2020, 09:03 AM
Thank you all for the responses. I may look at other brands of rifles from these reports.
Oops, I think that you misunderstood what wbm was saying about individual rifles. For example, regarding the Ruger American comment by Robinhood, I've talked to someone that is getting terrible accuracy with his Ruger American. Different individual rifle with a different result. Same guy bought a Savage and gets very good accuracy with that rifle. From what I've seen at the range, your chances of getting decent accuracy with a factory rifle are actually higher than average with Savage, not lower.

micky_blue
01-05-2020, 09:24 AM
Hunting at 600 yards is a REALLY LONG SHOT. Most times it's the Indian that makes the shot not the arrow. Simply put, I am descent shot and wouldn't consider anything over 400. Likely if you are asking these questions then you do not have the experience to make such a shot. Now with a whole lot of practice and money spent on equipment you could get there, or you could work on your stalking technique and get closer and make it more of a hunt than a shooting contest.

deserttrans
01-05-2020, 11:45 AM
What micky said!

Stumpkiller
01-06-2020, 12:17 AM

Unless one of the other manufacturers includes a sample 600 yard target in the box and state the load that achieved it there is no reason to believe they would be any better "out of the box" at that range than one of the Savage models geared towards long range accuracy. Some state "sub-MOA accuracy" which could be a 31" group at 600 yards or less.

hamiltonkiler
01-06-2020, 06:23 AM
Unless one of the other manufacturers includes a sample 600 yard target in the box and state the load that achieved it there is no reason to believe they would be any better "out of the box" at that range than one of the Savage models geared towards long range accuracy. Some state "sub-MOA accuracy" which could be a 31" group at 600 yards or less.

? Maybe that’s a miss print.
It means 6.28” or 1moa at 600yds

Yes an out of the box savage with some glass on it will be elk killing at 600yds even if it’s a 1.5MOA gun.

Of course you have to figure out your guns DOPE, data on personal equipment to get out that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b
01-06-2020, 09:23 AM
I know of too many people out here in the west who go after long range game and mess it up. They just don't take the time to learn how to shoot at those kinds of ranges. Most, even if they get the range correctly, severely underestimate the wind or just don't know how it can change at distance. A 5mph wind at the shooting position means you may have 10-15mph at 500yd and vice versa. A relative recently did just that this last season. 700yd, 300WM. Wind moved bullet over 30" from point of aim. Gut shot, and by the time they got to the shot location the elk was long gone. Not enough blood trail to track in high grass. He thought he was a great shot cause he went to the range one day (no wind), sat at a bench, and hit a target at 800yd. Don't be that person (yes, I spoke to him about it).

When you buy your rifle also buy a couple hundred rounds of ammo and be prepared for a lot of range time at longer ranges. If you don't have a laser rangefinder then get one. You will need it.

Go to the range on some random day (windy, cold, etc), set up shooting position as in the field with the rest you will use in the field (if you aren't going to carry a shooting mat then don't use one now). Set up a target at a random distance from 500-700 yd and hit a dinner plate on the first shot. Do this a few different days. then you are at least reasonably prepared.

If you don't have a range to shoot at then this is like tossing dice. Until you know how the wind behaves at long distances you have no idea what to expect.

FWIW, most modern rifles will shoot to near MOA or better. Some individual rifles will do much better, some will do a bit worse, especially the cheaper models. Just because Joe blow gets 1/4" groups with his does not mean the next one will get even 1" groups. Unless you can go to the mfg and see a guarantee of accuracy then you may not get it. Begara is one who has such a guarantee. I have not seen such a guarantee from the other US mfgs.

Both of my Savages took a couple hundred rounds to settle down to less than MOA accuracy. They were about 1 1/2 MOA out of the box.

yobuck
01-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Hunting at 600 yards is a REALLY LONG SHOT. Most times it's the Indian that makes the shot not the arrow. Simply put, I am descent shot and wouldn't consider anything over 400. Likely if you are asking these questions then you do not have the experience to make such a shot. Now with a whole lot of practice and money spent on equipment you could get there, or you could work on your stalking technique and get closer and make it more of a hunt than a shooting contest.

We could have a long discussion on this.
But for starters, lets define the word (hunting).
I would suppose for example that a guy sitting on a stump on the edge of a swamp with a 30/30 would be hunting.
But a guy sitting on a stump where he can see for long distances and has a 300 Win Mag isn’t hunting?
How about a guy choosing to sit all day in a tree, would he be hunting?
Surely a guy choosing to put on one man drives by walking around all day would be hunting, right?
Excuse me, i meant stalking, not walking. Lol

Stumpkiller
01-06-2020, 11:50 AM
? Maybe that’s a miss print.
It means 6.28” or 1moa at 600yds

Yes an out of the box savage with some glass on it will be elk killing at 600yds even if it’s a 1.5MOA gun.

Of course you have to figure out your guns DOPE, data on personal equipment to get out that far.

Oop. Yes. Ignore the math behind the curtain.

But my point was that no other manufacturer (I don't believe) will promise "out of the box accuracy" at 500 to 600 yards for a warehouse stocked rifle as the original post required and later followed up with perhaps looking to other brands. There's too much uncontrolled influence at 600 yards to guarantee those results. Savage action being no better or no worse than other brands as far as accuracy when comparing similar barrel profiles. Good action, good trigger mechanics, good basic platform to build on or leave factory issue.

Shortbox4x4
01-06-2020, 06:09 PM
Could the OP’s rifle do it? Sure totally possible. It would be up to him to go thru it and make sure the rifle is capable of the accuracy needed. If it needs any tuning/work to make it capable and not just one or two groups but make sure it can do it consistently. If not then he has to work on it. This includes bedding of the stock, type of scope etc...

Also ammo....that’s another big variable that he will have to sort out.

As I always say....your only as good as your equipment. Your equipment always has to be better than you. If not the first thing that happens is you stop learning. Also once you start second guessing your equipment it starts causing problems.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels