PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length for Savage Action.

UncleJimmy
12-22-2019, 12:03 AM
Good evening friends-

I discovered this website by accident several months ago. It has provided me with a lot of good advice which I appreciate.

I have a model 12FV in .223Rem from Cabelas. What I would like to do is buy a 28 or 30 inch barrel from McGowen in .223 AI to stick on it. My question is, is that too long of a barrel for that action as well as the action screws that hold the action to the stock? To me, in my inexperience, it just seems like that long of a tube would cause that much more stress on the action.

Maybe the better question to ask is what length of barrel is needed to get max velocity from the .223AI cartridge? Would I be better off selling that rifle and buying one of the 3-screw target actions for the benefit of having that much stiffer of an action?

The purpose for the rifle is 500 yard target shooting, NW Ohio whistle pigs, a trip out west for prairie dogs and hopefully a coyote or two.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Uncle Jimmy.

jpdown
12-22-2019, 01:35 AM
Not much to be gained with .223AI beyond 24”.

NicfromAlabama
12-22-2019, 04:00 AM
I have replaced two barrels on 12FV actions with a Shilen 28" bull barrel and a 28" MTU contour. No problems, but they are in HS Precision stocks. I think the construction of your stock will be the biggest factor.

celltech
12-22-2019, 07:30 AM
The action is plenty strong for what you want to do. Agree that you should put it in a good, stiff stock...maybe an Oryx chassis.

UncleJimmy
12-22-2019, 09:08 AM
The stock that is currently on the rifle is a laminated thumbhole stock from E A Brown company. It has been pillar bedded. I will glass bed the action once I install my aftermarket barrel.

it was surprising too see how much my groups shrank when I took off the plastic factory stock and put on the wood thumbhole stock.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Merry Christmas
Uncle Jimmy

yobuck
12-22-2019, 09:18 AM
The stock that is currently on the rifle is a laminated thumbhole stock from E A Brown company. It has been pillar bedded. I will glass bed the action once I install my aftermarket barrel.

it was surprising too see how much my groups shrank when I took off the plastic factory stock and put on the wood thumbhole stock.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Merry Christmas
Uncle Jimmy
Spend the money on a prairie dog trip Jimmy, and you’ll get a lot more bang for your bucks.
Merry Christmas to you also.

Fuj'
12-22-2019, 09:43 AM
As was mentioned.....Not much gained beyond 24"
However with the 223 AI, I'd consider a long throated
chamber, no more then 26", and do a work up with 90
grainers. I knew a person that did this but used the
.222 magnum. He held his own at 500 killing Chucks.
He has since changed that rig to 6BR.....What ever you
decide to do, make sure your twist rate is adequate

Robinhood
12-22-2019, 11:37 AM
If I am not mistaken, many of the custom action makers that use the 20 TPI barrel tenon thread are suggesting a torque value @ 90 ft/lb's.
That should make sure your barrel is not flopping around in the action.

I remember people use to talk about the gorilla at the factory who tightened the barrel nuts. Savage knows whats best for the barrel nut.

Texas10
12-22-2019, 11:41 AM
I put a Cabelas 12FV 223 in a EABCO thumbhole stock, same as yours. Bedded it with Devcon 10110 and in my son's hands will put 53 V-Max's into tiny groups all the way out to 500 yds and beyond. The 53 V-Max has an excellent B.C. and bucks wind nicely, and makes short work of clays at 500 yds.

I've also put a 28 inch bull Shilen barrel in 6br on a 12FV action. It too will put 5 into groups measuring in the zeros, so the action is plenty stiff for your needs.

Yes, you can do better with a custom barrel, but if your stock barrel shoots as well as mine, the small degree of improvement you'll see comes at a big price. If you really want that barrel, I'd say get contour light enough to haul around for field shooting. My 12fv in the thumbhole stock gets quite heavy on a field march. A 28 inch bull barrel would make it a real back breaker.

yobuck
12-22-2019, 11:45 AM
As was mentioned.....Not much gained beyond 24"
However with the 223 AI, I'd consider a long throated
chamber, no more then 26", and do a work up with 90
grainers. I knew a person that did this but used the
.222 magnum. He held his own at 500 killing Chucks.
He has since changed that rig to 6BR.....What ever you
decide to do, make sure your twist rate is adequate
There’s an old PA Dutch proverb.
Ve git’s too soon old und too late smart. Lol

UncleJimmy
12-22-2019, 01:43 PM
I really appreciate all the advice that I am receiving.

My reason for the .223 AI is to be different and for the extra speed on the 53-55 grain bullets. My current heavy barrel is extremely accurate with 55 grain V-Max bullets, I just want the extra 100fps or so to help anchor coyotes without moving to the excellent yet barrel burning 22-250. Maybe I would never see the difference within 300 yards or less with a high BC bullet.

I plan to work up a load using the 53 grain Nosler Varmageddons (claimed BC of .303) once I get my rifle back from the smith who is Threading the muzzle for a brake. Depending on how that performs on the Planned July Pdog hunting trip to WY I may or may not rebarrel.

Yobuck- danke shea fer de beratung.

Merry Christmas
Jimmy

yobuck
12-23-2019, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=UncleJimmy;465942]I really appreciate all the advice that I am receiving.

My reason for the .223 AI is to be different and for the extra speed on the 53-55 grain bullets. My current heavy barrel is extremely accurate with 55 grain V-Max bullets, I just want the extra 100fps or so to help anchor coyotes without moving to the excellent yet barrel burning 22-250. Maybe I would never see the difference within 300 yards or less with a high BC bullet.
Well i just happen to have a 22x250 AI version.
And it is by far my favorite Prairie dog gun.
I take 3 guns along on a trip, a model 12 223, a model 12 223 recambered to 22x250AI, and a 6x284 on a 700 action.
I bring ammo back home for all but the 22x250AI.
I use 50 gr Sierras in the 223, 69 gr Sierras in the 22x250 and 105s in the 6mm.
I don’t remember the velocity on the 22x250 AI and i frankly don’t much care.
But the thing just shoots, and is all the gun i need out to about 600.
Frankly for me that’s where most of the fun is, anything beyond that distance pretty much requires a spotter calling shots for you.
I have other so called barrel burners that I’ve been using deer hunting for over 40 years.
And yes there have been numerous years they haven’t been shot.
Sure, if you want to go out and punch holes in paper and try to get 1 hole groups, then yes you can use them up pretty quick.
But used strictly for hunting, even the barrel burners can last a long time.
The 50 gr bullets work fine, but you will find that the wind conditions will cause misses at the longer distances.
The little extra velocity will help at least some, but not like a 22x250 with heavier bullets.
I also have a 17 Rem which i took along for just one trip and didn’t use very much.
If i were limited to just one gun for prairie dogs, there would be no question about me taking a 22x250 with 70 gr class bullets.
And god help any coyotes who got within range also.

UncleJimmy
12-23-2019, 01:01 PM
My uncle has a 22-250AI that he shoots 90 grain bullets in. He really likes it. Maybe I put too much stock in what I read online about barrel burning calibers. Do you have a muzzle brake on your 22-250AI? If so, does it allow you to see your hits but reducing recoil? That is why I am having a brake out on me 223.

Most of my shooting will just be me shooting at (stationary) sporting clays at 500 yards on Saturdays. Throw in the occasional ground hog, coyote and the July Pdog hunt. The target shooting will be out to 500 yards where the hunting shots will be less then 300 yards.

yobuck
12-23-2019, 07:40 PM
No I don’t use muzzle brakes on the small caliber guns including the 6mm.
I think the 223 is an awesome cartridge for what it is, but there comes a point with all of them when its just time to move on.
Powder is the answer for L/R performance, not simply using higher BC bullets.
I would probably be just as happy with a standard 22x250, but my smith had the reamer and convinced me on the AI chamber.
100 FPS really only means a few less clicks on the scope. Not like its really important to kill prairie dogs.
Don’t be over thinking this stuff. It really isn’t complicated but we tend to make it that.
Just go shoot the gun, if it doesn’t measure up for what you want to do then get a bigger gun and don’t be trying to make what you have what it wont ever be.
We see people here and other places claiming things that just cant happen in the real world.
But you will never see them admit that after they find out.

UncleJimmy
12-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Sound words of wisdom yobuck. I will do just that-practice contentment and invest the money into powder and lead.

Thank you for your time and Merry Christmas.
Jimmy