PDA

View Full Version : Honest Opinion Savage 116 or Remington 700?

Pages : [1] 2

rfy1959
12-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Preface I recently joined group. Own three Savage rifles: Mark II FV-SR, Axis XP 270, and a MSR 15 Patrol. Looking at .300 Win Mags and trying to stay between $450-$800. Will be a field gun, so want synthetic stock and stainless. Right now even though love Savages torn between the 116 and Remington 700. I’ve been watching and reading reviews this evening. I do like that the Savage is about 2” in overall length. Pros and cons from those of you who own either model?

Apollo117
12-21-2019, 11:12 PM
Can you provide some criteria you would like the rifle to meet? Stuff like weight, aftermarket support, game being hunted, etc.

Dave Hoback
12-22-2019, 12:11 AM
Both are great rifles. And you really can’t be more evenly matched! I’d say go with your gut. I doubt you will be remorseful either way.

Robinhood
12-22-2019, 02:46 AM
Then there is the Tikka

ninner
12-22-2019, 08:02 AM
Since your not immediately drawn to the savage buy the Remington unless you plan to start swapping barrels in the future. It will work out of the box without tweaking and is a better looking rifle in my opinion that being said I only have one 709 left in my collection. I keep for occasions where I’m invited to go hunting with “civilized “ people who expect to see a wood stock and a leather strap with a deer on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbm
12-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Then there is the Tikka

They get really good reviews most places.

ninner
12-22-2019, 10:58 AM
They get really good reviews most places.

I’ve never really looked at tikka so I did a little browsing on the web. Are they actually $700 plus rifles or can they be found cheaper?

CFJunkie
12-22-2019, 11:39 AM
I think the Remington 700 action is one of the best in the world so I bought one about 8 years ago when they built rifles that supposedly matched their reputation.
The action was great, but the trigger and the stock were terrible.
After spending more than $500 more for a replacement trigger and a stock, the Remington finally shot accurately enough to match its reputation.

I own 7 Savage rifles.
Every one was accurate right out of the box and all out shot the Remington 700, even after its new stock and trigger.
My most recent Savages are about 50% more accurate than the Remington's results.

I don't buy Remington any longer, especially after their quality control debacles of recent years.
Reputations of old don't necessarily carry into the future.

Robinhood
12-22-2019, 11:45 AM
I’ve never really looked at tikka so I did a little browsing on the web. Are they actually $700 plus rifles or can they be found cheaper?

Not sure of the lowest price but the resale value is higher than a Savage and it fits the OP's $450-$800 price range. The action is as smooth as butter too. There is an aftermarket if you want to go with upgrades.

The Ruger American is also a great low end rifle that shoots well. The bolt has some features found on higher end rifles. With the prefit makers catching up to the variety out there you have home built options these days.

ninner
12-22-2019, 11:52 AM
I think the Remington 700 action is one of the best in the world so I bought one about 8 years ago when they built rifles that supposedly matched their reputation.
The action was great, but the trigger and the stock were terrible.
After spending more than $500 more for a replacement trigger and a stock, the Remington finally shot accurately enough to match its reputation.

I own 7 Savage rifles.
Every one was accurate right out of the box and all out shot the Remington 700, even after its new stock and trigger.
My most recent Savages are about 50% more accurate than the Remington's results.

I don't buy Remington any longer, especially after their quality control debacles of recent years.
Reputations of old don't necessarily carry into the future.

Very good point most of my Remington experience is from rifles built in the 70’s back when the actions were smooth as silk. Most of my dads shot 1.5 to 2 moa though.

Robinhood
12-22-2019, 03:31 PM
The RR and later serial prefix actions are better actions.

Buster95
12-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Why not a Weatherby Vanguard.

RustyShackle
12-22-2019, 05:01 PM
The blasphemy in this thread!

Savages are good platform that are modular and lend themselves to home’smithing. But what they really had going for them at one time, ($ cheap) doesn’t hold true so much anymore. Unless you really just want a 116 I would probably shop around. Many great quality rifles to be had in price range.

Bill2905
12-22-2019, 06:46 PM
I own three Savages but no Remingtons. I debated endlessly between the two when I bought my first centerfire and the guy at the gun shop steered me toward Savage. Everything I can gather tells me they they are pretty equal and it really boils down to your preference. I do like the look of the R700 as well.

If you are open to spending up to your stated limit of $800, take a serious look at the Tikka T3X.

Apollo117
12-22-2019, 07:19 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSpend some time with a Tikka and you'll wonder how they can sell them as cheaply as $700.

Facetiousness aside, Tikkas are great guns for the money. I really like my Savage rifles, but there are some shortfalls of Savage rifles that I can address with other rifles.

Apollo117
12-22-2019, 07:25 PM
I forgot to mention that Tikka rifles can be found on sale for less than $700.

Here's one for $500. https://lockedloaded.com/product/jrtxb382

Orezona
12-22-2019, 08:54 PM
I like the Bergara B14 Ridge. i would get one in a minute if the made it in a 280 AI.

godale
12-23-2019, 08:12 AM
The blasphemy in this thread!

Savages are good platform that are modular and lend themselves to home’smithing. But what they really had going for them at one time, ($ cheap) doesn’t hold true so much anymore. Unless you really just want a 116 I would probably shop around. Many great quality rifles to be had in price range.

You are so right when I bought my 114 classic years ago it was over 140 cheaper than the remmy bdl. Now with then 110 classic they are about the same

Robinhood
12-23-2019, 11:21 AM
With today's aftermarket, modularity is no longer exclusive to Savage/

Apollo117
12-23-2019, 11:34 AM
I like the Bergara B14 Ridge. i would get one in a minute if the made it in a 280 AI.You bring up a good point with the Bergara, which is an M700 clone. While Remington's QC cannot be trusted, there are several companies making M700 clones whose QC can be trusted.

There's no arguing that the M700 and M700 clones have the upper hand in aftermarket options.