PDA

View Full Version : Mixing varget lots

69gen1
12-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Ok folks try not bash the op (Beause I have not done this) I was over on another forum site and was reading where some take there remains of 1lb cans of varget and mix it with a different lots of varget to create bulk lots of varget and then work up a charge from those..sounds spooky to me.i know different lots of powder vary some so I was wandering if anyone tryed this? and there experence..they was saying like 1/2 pound to 1lb or 50/50.. (AGAIN) I have not mixed lots of powder..and dont need to as I am working on 8lb jug

Ted_Feasel
12-19-2019, 09:07 AM
Ok folks try not bash the op (Beause I have not done this) I was over on another forum site and was reading where some take there remains of 1lb cans of varget and mix it with a different lots of varget to create bulk lots of varget and then work up a charge from those..sounds spooky to me.i know different lots of powder vary some so I was wandering if anyone tryed this? and there experence..they was saying like 1/2 pound to 1lb or 50/50.. (AGAIN) I have not mixed lots of powder..and dont need to as I am working on 8lb jugThis is fairly common when people, let's say buy 8lb in 1 lb containers not all nessicarily from the same lot.. they will bulk it all and make their own lot.. nothing at all unsafe as long as it is same powder and using due diligence in working up a load. Is it better or worse than having a 8lb jug from the same lot?? I'm sure you can find people on both sides of the argument. Me personally, I think it's fine because a 8lb and batch of 500 cases is enough to wear out a barrel so have at it.. jmo

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

charlie b
12-19-2019, 10:38 AM
I don't consider it a big deal, but, it depends on what you are looking for.

If you are going to shoot a lot and need your loads to print at the exact same place every time, like multiple matches over several weeks without sighting in between, then it could be worth it.

Keep in mind I am not a benchrest shooter and 1/2MOA is ok with me. I have loaded two different lots of Varget at the same time and have not seen any difference. Luck? Maybe. But, later loads all print to the same place with same scope settings (within my shooting ability).

I am not current on powder mfg procedures but way back 'in the old days' the powders were blended to give specific velocities out of a test barrel. Not sure what their tolerances were but suspect only the long range benchrest and similar folks would notice a difference.

FYI, there was some discussion in the early days of Varget that lot to lot variance was pretty sketchy. I suspect that the idea of blending lots may have it's source from those stories.

69gen1
12-19-2019, 12:40 PM
I was just curious,after reading that in a forum another site.I do have about 3 different pound containers thats half full or less. i was useing those for basic range fodder in 223 and 308 until I could use them up.but if its SAFE and others have tried I might consider it on those mix lot containers. but I am working on the 8lb jug in the 308 for my precision rds. I to am not shooting any matches and thrilled with 1/2 moa in my setup and ability.

sharpshooter
12-19-2019, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't blend anything till I done some testing. Make up some loads from each different lot and see how much difference there is.

Ted_Feasel
12-19-2019, 01:17 PM
I was just curious,after reading that in a forum another site.I do have about 3 different pound containers thats half full or less. i was useing those for basic range fodder in 223 and 308 until I could use them up.but if its SAFE and others have tried I might consider it on those mix lot containers. but I am working on the 8lb jug in the 308 for my precision rds. I to am not shooting any matches and thrilled with 1/2 moa in my setup and ability.If you got a 8 lb single lot then I wouldnt.. I did on occasions because in my case the business had varget and imr 8208 xbr in 1 lb bottles, on both only about 5 out of 8 bottles were same lot and he gave me a hell of a discount for taking them so I bought them and made my own lot. If you think about it, there really isnt much difference in batching your own lot. The biggest concern I've ever had on it was making sure it was mixed uniformly. 1 only used the "off lot bottles to source my own lot, 2 I then (for example, the 8208) had only 3 lbs that were different lots so I mixed it 3rd/3rd/3rd as I went along. I think if you do the most you can to ensure uniform mixture it's as good as any lot. The 8208 and varget both ended up using identical load as I did from previous lots. Granted, never got to test them out to 1k so I may have seen a difference in testing beyond 200 yards/meters.

69gen1
12-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info folks..I will make up some test rds and see where each lot is...I would suspect that powder manufactures have a guide line they try to stay close to...I will apply the 10% rule run over the chrony and see what happens and keep the big jug just the way it is if I do blend it will just be the remains of 3 odd ball 1 pounders thanks again.

Ted_Feasel
12-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info folks..I will make up some test rds and see where each lot is...I would suspect that powder manufactures have a guide line they try to stay close to...I will apply the 10% rule run over the chrony and see what happens thanks again.Best of luck to you[emoji846]

69gen1
12-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Best of luck to you[emoji846]

Thanks Ted I will approach carefully

charlie b
12-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Unless you are running max to the wall I wouldn't worry about it. I use the same loads from lot to lot and never work back up. But, I am not at the critical edge either. I have never noticed a change in POI, but, I wouldn't expect to unless I was shooting >600yd. The wind, air pressure and humidity affect the bullet flight a lot more.

69gen1
12-20-2019, 05:36 AM
Unless you are running max to the wall I wouldn't worry about it. I use the same loads from lot to lot and never work back up. But, I am not at the critical edge either. I have never noticed a change in POI, but, I wouldn't expect to unless I was shooting >600yd. The wind, air pressure and humidity affect the bullet flight a lot more.

Thanks charlie b I hardly ever run close to the max never seen the need over the yrs my accuracy nodes came before that I'm sure there probably more nodes higher just never wanted or needed to push it.

Axlrod
12-20-2019, 08:26 PM
I have done this quite a few times over the years with no trouble. Just mix very well and work up your load as you would with a new jug of powder.

yobuck
12-21-2019, 11:21 AM
I suppose it could be considered as a form of duplexing powder.
But not in the true sense, as that requires different powders mixed together in hope of finding a better combination.
Years back i got to know a guy by name of Homer Pauley who was a balistics person working at the Frankford Arsenal in Philly.
We had a few in depth conversations about powder mixing. I never got involved in it because my gonads were too small, but i know for sure some guys did.