PDA

View Full Version : Wifes KY Elk Down!

skoger
10-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Bull season opened Oct. 3, my wife had drawn a tag. We were on several bulls, guides came in with clients and cut us off repeatedly, blocking public acces roads, fish and wildlife would not do anything, buddies with the guides. Wife was really upset and they shot a 7x8, and 6x6 out from under us. I tried to calm her down, told her we would do the right thing, no matter what the other people were doing, have faith and things would work out like they were supposed to. We ended up pinned in a small corner of the area we were hunting, with a bull answering my bugle and cow calls right at dark, 2 minutes of shooting light left and a small 4x4 came out and saw the guides and vehicles, circeled through the timber and popped up in front of my wife and she nailed him with a neck shot, 80yds. Dropped in his tracks. Weighed about700 live weight, 330 hanging rack at the meat processers, ready to cut. I am really proud of her, we have practiced a lot, and I know its not a bow, but she hunts hard and earns every animal. WE saw it as the hunt of a lifetime with a friend and her brother, to take a elk here in KY, bugle and call them in, and hunt fair chase and with ethics. ELk Fillet Mingon wrapped in bacon for supper tonight, portabella mushroom and gravy, wild rice on the side. Just wanted to share with you all. I had built her a Savage 110, stock to fit her, 4x12 Burris, .270 w/muzzle brake. I trued and bedd action, heavy duty ss/lug. Would shoot 3/4 inch or better all day with Hornady factory 150g. Interlocks. She could keep then in 3-3&1/2 inches at 300yds of cross sticks sitting.
Bullet broke neck, came out back of neck, into the chest and heart/lungs. Elk was standing pointing downhill, did a number. And to top it off, we jus slid him down a steep hill 200 yds to the trailer and off we go!

zedsdead
10-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the cool story. Congratulations to you and your wife on the elk. Taking the high road when dealing with a bunch of jerks during elk season is impressive. Not sure I could do it. Good for you and congratulations again.

Jason

kkeene
10-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Congratulations on the elk! Dinner sounds pretty darn good too.

Curious, how did the guides block the roads? It might be worthwhile to take pictures of that in the future.

Keith

skoger
10-04-2009, 03:03 PM
The guides would park a spare vehicle or drop a trailer on these one lane roads at a pinch point. Pretty sorry behaviors if you ask me.

Blue Avenger
10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
LOL I could not let it pass with out a call to johnny law to see if I could at least get them a few traffic tickets.

geargrinder
10-04-2009, 08:44 PM
The guides would park a spare vehicle or drop a trailer on these one lane roads at a pinch point. Pretty sorry behaviors if you ask me.

Take your accutrigger adjustment tool and take all the valve stem cores from their tires. Then, leave them a bicycle pump. ;D

That is pretty sorry behavior. I'd be fuming.

J.Baker
10-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Congrat's to your wife!

As for the guides and F&W officer, I'd be putting in a formal complaint to the state headquarters office of the F&W about this. Note the guides name, the F&W officers name if you know it, and exactly what they were doing. Definitely not acceptable behavior on either parties part, especially the F&W officer's.

doegirl
10-06-2009, 01:53 AM
I think I might had to test the sharpness of my hunting blade on a sidewall of a tire or two. >:(. Then call AAA to have a disabled vehicle towed. Yeah, sure, its mine, uh-huh. Just take it to local scrap yard :-*
That kind of stuff is aweful, just reading about that ticks me off.
Congrats to your wife. Pics?

skoger
10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Just got a Dig. camera before the hunt, took some great pics, will try to post them this week if I can figure out how. Thanks all of you.

Blue Avenger
10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/funny%20pic/q6haztexj3.jpg

bigngreen
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't think I would have been brave enough to get between my wife with a rifle and some jar head guide :o
In our area the guides walk a perty tight line or the FWP will be on them like a tall dog. My hunting truck is so ugly that they move when I go around them so they don't get there paint tore up on there new trucks ;D
Patience does pay, and tell her good shootn.

Carvera
10-08-2009, 12:13 AM

Sounds like Utah!

Congratulations, and Kudos to your wife and party for a successful hunt.

hunter2
10-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Good job keeping your cool and congrats to the wife. I would be filing a formal complaint..Now if I could get drawn!