PDA

View Full Version : Question on gen1 SA.

coshooter
12-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Hi all.
I want to build a 6.5 CM on a Gen 1 sa 308win with shot out, beat up skinny barrel. Can I use a small shank 6.5 CM modern barrel? I do have a Lathe 12x36” Gunsmith quality Taiwan built. It has zero set bison 4 jaw chuck and a rear spider for zeroing work. If it needs a different barrel shoulder less installed i think I can do that. I want be switching out barrels. Any input or help, is appreciated.
Happy Hollidays
CH

gbflyer
12-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Hi all.
I want to build a 6.5 CM on a Gen 1 sa 308win with shot out, beat up skinny barrel. Can I use a small shank 6.5 CM modern barrel? I do have a Lathe 12x36” Gunsmith quality Taiwan built. It has zero set bison 4 jaw chuck and a rear spider for zeroing work. If it needs a different barrel shoulder less installed i think I can do that. I want be switching out barrels. Any input or help, is appreciated.
Happy Hollidays
CH

Yes, although you might find feeding issues. I’ve done the same and ended up converting the stagger feed to center feed because feeding from the stagger feed box wasn’t 100% with the CM cartridge and I don’t want to modify the stagger feed box due to using it for .308 also. There are lots of barrel options out there, prefit or if you’re going to chamber it yourself there are blanks both contoured and unturned. If you’re going to leave a shoulder and dispose of the barrel nut you’ll need a 1.220 shank to start with as opposed to the 1.058 Savage small shank otherwise there’s nothing left for a shoulder. A shouldered barrel is more convenient for a switch barrel if you’re keeping it on the same action all the time.

Is that what you’re after for info?

coshooter
12-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Yes Sir, that is good info.I need to look into the feed problem, more. I have been reading threads on this sort thing here. With all the strange configuration changes it does make for fun, problem solving.VBG. I realize it easier to buy newer model and probably more accurate, but what fun is that. This will be a labor of love for sure. I’m not doing this for profit.;-) Oh by the way it does not have a barrel nut on it now. It looks like some one shouldered the barrel and got rid of the barrel nut.
Thank you for the reply, I now have a starting place.
CH

Shortbox4x4
12-17-2019, 07:12 PM
I’m very close to putting a 6.5CM on a early stagger feed action. The gun was originally a 243win.

Believe it or not I was checking mag length for oal of the ammo etc...and even with no barrel on the action it stripped (dummy) rounds out of the box magazine with no issues. So I don’t for see any problems.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

sharpshooter
12-17-2019, 07:34 PM
So what exactly are you calling a gen 1 short action? what is the serial#?

Shortbox4x4
12-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Sharpshooter brings up a good way of what the OP is calling a short action. List the s/n or at least the first 3 or 4 characters.

I’m taking the OP’s post as either a early s/n with no letter or a J series with a letter like a B or a C. I call those short actions but I think they are better called an intermediate action.

mnbogboy2
12-17-2019, 11:28 PM
I’m very close to putting a 6.5CM on a early stagger feed action. The gun was originally a 243win.

Believe it or not I was checking mag length for oal of the ammo etc...and even with no barrel on the action it stripped (dummy) rounds out of the box magazine with no issues. So I don’t for see any problems.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

4 of my five 6.5 CMs are on flat back stagger feeds (LA). No feed problems with any of them after initial tweaking.
The biggest hurdle on all of them is to make sure the corner of the right lug abutment and corresponding corner on the right bolt raceway is ground & polished to prevent "wedging" of the case during extraction. This slight wedging can and often leads to "dropped" case problems. This problem is best addressed with the barrel removed.
My .02,
Randy

gbflyer
12-17-2019, 11:41 PM
Yes I’m sure the stagger feed can be setup to work just fine. I had a center feed box i put in mine, it is a blind mag setup in a Remington Classic pattern McMillan stock. Fits like it was made for it and feeds like butter. I like the center feed, personal preference I guess. I hit on it when I was fooling around with a .458 SOCOM barrel I chambered for the same receiver. Now that was a challenge to get to feed...

J.Baker
12-18-2019, 03:08 PM
What SharpShooter is getting at is if this is a Gen 1 short-action then it would have the early style bolt with the shrouded bolt face. The breech on these barrels is totally different than those on the 1966+ made 110's with the current style bolt face.

Shortbox4x4
12-19-2019, 07:35 AM
What SharpShooter is getting at is if this is a Gen 1 short-action then it would have the early style bolt with the shrouded bolt face. The breech on these barrels is totally different than those on the 1966+ made 110's with the current style bolt face.

It’s easy to forget those really early Savage model 110’s. I’ve seen only one maybe two in the last 15 years come into the shop for work. Good point and thanks for clarifying that.

coshooter
12-19-2019, 10:41 AM
So what exactly are you calling a gen 1 short action? what is the serial#?
Hi Sharp shooter.
Sn 1270xx, action screw-space is 4.522 based on the overall length ejection port is 3.2745 it is a a M110 308 Win length Blind mag.
according to what I have found out about it it is a Gen1 short 110 action. I does have the recessed bolt face and a snug fit .473 cartrige rim fit.
Thanks for the replys.i thing I found a barrel Savage small shank 6.5 CM 24” take off, on fleeby. says it has never been fired?? Was there a recall problem with all these take off barrels. It is a Varminter weight. I will need to get a nut and wrench and set of go ogo gages to set head spac but I can do that barrel for under 200? Do a target throat a nd polish up he camber. And make it a moa shooter, My Boydes stock will be here after Christmas. I been thinking of turning on the heat in the shop, and firing up the cnc mill to do a single feed DBM to use MagPull AR10 mags, but will be later after I get this shooting. Plan to mount a Night Force 3.5x10x50 tactical scope for yots.LOL We got plenty of Willy’s this year. The pelts and nice with all th cold and snow. I have a 200-1000yrd range at the club range to tune it and work up the loads.
Thanks for the reply’s
CH

coshooter
12-19-2019, 10:51 AM
It’s easy to forget those really early Savage model 110’s. I’ve seen only one maybe two in the last 15 years come into the shop for work. Good point and thanks for clarifying that.
LOL and just got a 22-250 and this 308win donor at the same estate sale for hardly nothing. Both have the 3.275 ejection port with 4.522 action mount bolts C to C and the recessed bolt face(the one on the right and the bottom one) . The 22-250 will put 5 60grs in a single hole at 200. So they will shoot if I do my part. It was 50s last week before the last storm, so got out to do a little testing.
thanks for the info.
CH

PhilC
12-19-2019, 11:35 AM
A lot of takeoff barrels out there from people buying bargain priced 12FVs who removed barrels to build something else. Hard to justify the cost of an action when you could buy an entire rifle for about the same money. Just two years ago, Cabelas sold 12FV for $219 after rebates, sell the barrel and stock and you'd have an action for about $100.

coshooter
12-19-2019, 06:40 PM
A lot of takeoff barrels out there from people buying bargain priced 12FVs who removed barrels to build something else. Hard to justify the cost of an action when you could buy an entire rifle for about the same money. Just two years ago, Cabelas sold 12FV for $219 after rebates, sell the barrel and stock and you'd have an action for about $100.
Ok that explains it. I saw herd of them barrels on EBay. I didn’t know Cabelas was selling them that cheap. I’ll bet those barrels are low bider supplier I guess Ill try to pick up a better barrel.
Thanks.
CH

Shortbox4x4
12-19-2019, 09:40 PM

That’s what I’m doing with my build/rebuild to a 110S. Picked up the rifle for under $300. Sold the barrel, sold the stock, sold the scope mount. So I have about a $135 into the action (left hand). Picked up a NOS left hand silhouette stock for $75. Doing action and barrel work right now.

Go back to the main forum page and go down to members build and you can look up the pictures.

Just got the receiver face trued today. It was out .006”.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Shortbox4x4
12-20-2019, 07:39 PM
4 of my five 6.5 CMs are on flat back stagger feeds (LA). No feed problems with any of them after initial tweaking.
The biggest hurdle on all of them is to make sure the corner of the right lug abutment and corresponding corner on the right bolt raceway is ground & polished to prevent "wedging" of the case during extraction. This slight wedging can and often leads to "dropped" case problems. This problem is best addressed with the barrel removed.
My .02,
Randy

I got the first barrel chambered up (still need to cut and crown the barrel to finish length). I installed it to check function and it fed, chambered and extracted and ejected rounds with no issues. So I didn’t need to do anything to mine. No weird drag marks or scratches on the cases or the bullets.

I’ll cut and crown the barrel on Monday morning.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

mnbogboy2
12-20-2019, 07:53 PM
Good to hear. Better to know ahead of time than having to pull one apart after you start shooting it.
Randy

Axlrod
12-20-2019, 08:16 PM
I have 3 of them. The first one i bought was a 223, bought it to build a 20VT. I took it out and shot it and it shot so well I could't take it apart! next one was a 6.5 Creed- same story. Bought a another 6.5 Creed and i am taking it apart before shooting it!

PhilC
12-21-2019, 12:23 PM
A lot of those factory barrels are real shooters, mine was well!