PDA

View Full Version : Which seating die?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill2905
12-16-2019, 10:39 PM
I use the basic Lee dies for full length sizing and bullet seating. They have served me well and I have no real complaints about them. Lately though, I wonder if I my hand loads would benefit from using a more advanced seating die that provides better alignment of the bullet during seating.

I have been looking at the competition seating dies from Forster, Redding, and RCBS as possible upgrades.

Which seating dies do you guys use and recommend?

Axlrod
12-16-2019, 11:15 PM
I really like Whidden and Forster dies, but I have Redding, RCBS, and Hornady that have worked well also. I usually choose by who makes them and if they are in stock at the time i need them.

Stumpkiller
12-16-2019, 11:29 PM
I can recommend the Redding Competition. It has insert options for bullets and the VLD seats mine with around 0.002" or less runout when checked on my Hornady concentricity rig (0.0005" dial). I seldom check hunting loads anymore because it just is dependable. When I'm going all out I check every cartridge.

When I seat a bullet I bottom out the press, give the case a 180 degree twist in the shell holder and bottom out again. Doesn't take much longer and seems to be well worth the effort (especially on slightly compressed loads).

But really, if your sizing die isn't up to snuff the best seating die in the world can't fix that. Lee, RCBS, Redding all make solid and well aligned dies so it's probably not a problem. Unless you find a problem. The dies work in concert. I decap separately and also neck expand separately of resizing and bullet seating, so I use four dies to reload a rifle cartridge.

Smokey262
12-16-2019, 11:30 PM
Forster Bench Rest Seater dies are my favorites

NicfromAlabama
12-16-2019, 11:38 PM
I've decided lately to start using the Wilson chamber type dies to seat bullets. You need to use an arbor press or something like a mallet to seat the bullets though. I happened to have an arbor press, so that was no big deal. I loaded some bullets last night and it seemed to work well. It keeps the bullets in alignment with the case and should make loading flat base bullets much easier.

Robinhood
12-17-2019, 01:57 AM
When seeking accuracy, one of the critical process is to check neck RO after sizing then again near the ogive after seating. That will tell you if your sizing process or your seating process is an issue. If eveything looks good just start checking after seating.

Jester560
12-17-2019, 02:27 AM
I consistently get less than .001 runout with my Lee dies. I see no need to blow wads of money for no gain
The only thing I wish the Lee seater had was a micrometer adjust.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

charlie b
12-17-2019, 08:22 AM
For my purposes the Lee die is sufficient as well....BUT...I am not after accuracy in the 2's and less. And I'd love it if Lee offered a micrometer style stem for it. I kinda made my own, etching marks on the stem so I can easily reset the die for different bullets. Still not that accurate for depth. Alignment is as good to .001.

If I wanted more then I'd go the whole route and get a Wilson die.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-17-2019, 10:44 AM
I used Lee dies and a small Lee press to resize Mil Spec 5.56 and 7.62. Never again. Wore out the press and the primer punch rods would never stay in position.
I use Forster Precision Bushing Bump Dies to load most of my rounds. They keep the brass from growing and that means trimming in most cases isn't needed.
I seat with RCBS Competition Seater dies. The "side window" is the BOMB. No smashed fingers when trying to seat small bullets.
I have picked up used Comp seaters, swapped the guts to fit the caliber I'am working with. Some calibers arn't made for my projects.
Never have checked run out. They're all going in the same hole so why bother. :eagerness:
Got a set on custom made Whidden dies for my "20 TCM" Wildcat. Havn't used them yet but they're there when needed.
Got a couple of Lee Collet dies that heave been modified for my Wildcat project. I'll try anything once.
If you like the gear you're using, that's what works for you. :cool:

Whynot
12-17-2019, 10:37 PM
The only problem I have ever had with Lee dies is that the stem is not very forgiving for bullet length, and if you are shooting a long high B.C bullet then it is most likely being pushed in by the bullet nose. If the bullets are very consistent then you can still get pretty good results but any difference in bullet length gives you different bullet jump. If you are using a "traditional" bullet for the rifle you will be fine... for example on my 22-250 die it seats off the ogive on most bullets up to 60 grains. But the 75 eld bullets I am using only hit on the tip- so I don't use it anymore.

Robinhood
12-17-2019, 11:32 PM
Never have checked run out. They're all going in the same hole so why bother.
I guess I need to take a look at your setup. My current setup is 2 inches a 600, maybe a little larger when the wind picks up. I dream for 1 hole groups.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-18-2019, 07:41 AM
2" at 600? That would work for me, ANYTIME.:cool::cool: Tell me before you shoot one hole groups at 600.
I want your autograph BEFORE you get too famous. ;)

charlie b
12-18-2019, 08:44 AM
I used Lee dies and a small Lee press to resize Mil Spec 5.56 and 7.62. Never again. Wore out the press and the primer punch rods would never stay in position..........
Got a couple of Lee Collet dies that heave been modified for my Wildcat project. I'll try anything once.
If you like the gear you're using, that's what works for you. :cool:

That's interesting as I used an early Lee turret press and dies to resize military 5.56 to .222 without any problems at all.

I do really like the Lee collet neck sizers and the factory crimp dies.

BUT, they are not bench rest level stuff. I have heard that if the Lee collet neck sizer is the correct dimensions for your cartridge it does well, but, that does not apply for many in the BR world. Like you I would be tempted to rework the die for my application and see how it would do. The concept is a good one if the right dimensions are there. Let us know how it works.

GrenGuy
12-18-2019, 11:43 AM
I ordered a custom made collet neck sizing die from Lee for My 6mmBR Norma. I already have one for My 6.5 Grendel(custom),and have been very pleased with it. Run out is at least as low as any other die available. In fact, I have them in stock form for almost all chamberings I reload for, and am well pleased with their performance. I sent Lee 2 cases fired in My chamber and 1 Berger 105grn Hybrid. When they say “custom” I assume they are matching what I sent them??? The order includes a seating die, and hopefully will include a stem that matches the bullet? This is all that I want to invest at this time.

The serious BR guys look at what the last winner is using and make a mad dash to get it, and most end up using the same stuff. This makes it difficult to tell what changes actually make an improvement. Since I don’t have a perfect shooting technique at this point, how will I know if a change was beneficial or if I just shot better on the last group? I’m working My way up from the bottom, so hopefully I can see what changes actually work for Me.

As for seating die’s, the high dollar window type are for people who want seat in one pass (JMO). I rotate the case about 6 times on the way down and the runout is as perfect as as the case itself.

Guys, I hate to say it, but a 2” group at 600yds “might” have been a good group “for the last millennium”. I don’t know, I haven’t looked back that far. I think Bart Sauter is at .282” at 600yds currently?

As as for Me, I just hope I don’t get in the way too much at My next match :o

Iowa Fox
12-22-2019, 12:23 AM
Forster Bench Rest Seater dies are my favorites

Same here. I've tried them all including the Wilson arbor press seaters.

hardnosestreetcop
12-31-2019, 01:05 AM
Bill I’ve been using the Lee seating die in most of my Revolver, pistol, and rifle loads,
since the late 1980’s. Never had a problem with any caliber. There’s a old saying that i go by,” if it ain’t broke don’t fix it “

charlie b
12-31-2019, 07:54 AM
But, the Lee die isn't capable of holding the accuracy of these higher precision dies. I have used and am still using Lee dies and they are really good (except for the coarse thread and lack of markings for depth). But, I only shoot in the .5MOA range. When shooting in the .1 and .2 ranges it makes a difference.

Fuj'
12-31-2019, 08:52 AM
I use Lee dies, but mine are a bit tweaked to get what I need.
The Collet die works great, once you get the mandrel size right
for your load. I am a full time user of the Lee floating seater,
but then again it is also tweaked. My floating seat plugs are
internally cut and polished to fit an individual bullet. Run out,
concentricity and consistent depth is as good as it gets. And
make sure your press is tight and ram runs true. Even them
expensive dies will turn out crap, on a cheap beater press.

GrenGuy
12-31-2019, 09:29 AM
I agree completely ^^^

As for My post #14, Lee dies ordered Fri 12/13/‘19, Shipped Tue 12/26/‘19, Received Tue 12/30/‘19. They look great, and I got a nice note from Lee , wishing Me good shooting fortune. The dies are definitely a step up from normal production run. Can’t wait to check the runout with My shooting buddies scale. If I don’t shoot in the 1’s or 2’s, I don’t think it will be the fault of these Lee dies.

Burr
02-03-2020, 10:53 PM
I've made the change to using the Wilson Chamber dies as well. For those of you that don't have an arbor press and would like to try the Wilson seaters, I use a drill press with a 5/16 bolt chucked up to press with the Wilson seater. Works pretty well.

I've decided lately to start using the Wilson chamber type dies to seat bullets. You need to use an arbor press or something like a mallet to seat the bullets though. I happened to have an arbor press, so that was no big deal. I loaded some bullets last night and it seemed to work well. It keeps the bullets in alignment with the case and should make loading flat base bullets much easier.