PDA

View Full Version : shooter choice cleaning rod woes

Pages : [1] 2

caleb90
12-14-2019, 08:25 PM
so after 20 years my old hoppes 3pc aluminum cleaning rods have about had it. decided to join the band wagon and had my local shop order me in a 1pc coated rod. went with shooters choice for 1 there 100% usa made and 2 they are made in my home state. once i got it home and checked it out i had some issues, rod was bent and had pitting in the coating down to the stainless. called them up explained what i had found and even though i didnt buy direct through them they are sending me a new rod free of charge. will see how this one is when it gets here, if still no good what you all recomend?

Stumpkiller
12-14-2019, 09:42 PM
I've had very good luck with my Bore-Tech V-Stix. Also made in the USA (Quakertown, PA).

hambandit
12-14-2019, 09:49 PM
I like Dewey rods

Stirling M12
12-14-2019, 10:28 PM
I have been using Tipton one piece cleaning rods. I have no complaints.

yobuck
12-14-2019, 11:19 PM
I like Dewey rods

Another vote for Dewey.

PhilC
12-15-2019, 12:21 AM
Another vote for Dewey.
Make it three votes and I've been using them for a couple decades.

Bill2905
12-15-2019, 12:39 AM
I use Tipton carbon fiber rods and a Bore Tech Bore Stix coated steel rod. I can recommend both.

Robinhood
12-15-2019, 01:45 AM
I use Tipton carbon fiber rods and a Bore Tech Bore Stix coated steel rod. I can recommend both.

Tipton is superior to Dewey in every way.

Axlrod
12-15-2019, 01:15 PM
I have a couple Tiptons and have had no problems with them.

caleb90
12-15-2019, 08:04 PM
not to kean on the carbon rod idea. one nick in the outer layer n snap just like a carbon arrow. plus they will wear just like a carbon arrow, stuff is hard but once through the outer layer. ot scrapes off like break dust

sharpshooter
12-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Evidently you've never used a carbon fiber rod before. I've owned at least one of every brand of cleaning rod made, and the carbon fiber rods have outlasted all the others. Carbon fiber will not kink like steel rods, which is very important if you have small calibers like .17 and .20. There is no coating to peel or strip off, and I've never broken one. There is no "outer layer", it is solid. The Tipton rods also have sealed ball bearings.

Robinhood
12-16-2019, 12:31 AM
Evidently you've never used a carbon fiber rod before. I've owned at least one of every brand of cleaning rod made, and the carbon fiber rods have outlasted all the others. Carbon fiber will not kink like steel rods, which is very important if you have small calibers like .17 and .20. There is no coating to peel or strip off, and I've never broken one. There is no "outer layer", it is solid. The Tipton rods also have sealed ball bearings.

If you spin a tipton and then spin a dewey :o

caleb90
12-16-2019, 08:15 AM

no i havnt, have alwaysed used cheap 3pc rods. like i said i just got my first 1pc and it wasnt good new out of the box

Fordoldfart
12-18-2019, 12:03 AM
I make my own out of 3/16 brass rod and wood file handles.

caleb90
12-18-2019, 06:14 PM
new rod came today, as soon as i seen the package i knew it wouldnt be good. pulled it out and it was bent in a U. took pics of the box and rod, sent it to the company and called them. sending yet another to me

celltech
12-18-2019, 06:58 PM
Cancel the order and go for the carbon Tipton. I guarantee it will not show up bent ;-)

caleb90
12-18-2019, 07:37 PM
Cancel the order and go for the carbon Tipton. I guarantee it will not show up bent ;-)

as hard of a hit this rod took in travel, a carbon rod would have been broken. this mishap is totally on fedex and not the company nor rod. just bad luck i guess

Robinhood
12-18-2019, 10:32 PM
I dunno. I could tie my brass Dewey in a knot. The Tipton takes some force without bending or breaking.

yobuck
12-19-2019, 10:01 AM
I guess if a 3 pc aluminum rod lasted the OP for 20 years, it would be a safe bet that any decent 1 pc rod would be an improvement.
Weve got quite a few Deweys hanging on the wall and have never had any issues with them.
Still have a couple Parker Hales also that belonged to my father in the 50s.
But just like anything else, something better is always showing up.

PhilC
12-19-2019, 12:08 PM
I've read about coated rods peeling or collecting debris for years, yet none of my Deweys have. I do wipe the rod after every series of passes and would do the same with any quality rod. Only complaint I had was the earlier Dewey rods had a machined groove in the plastic handle for the bearings. I had one like that and so did my son, both handles have been replaced with the new style. I can spin the handle upstairs and it will still be spinning by the time I get to my reloading room downstairs.

Maybe next time I need a new cleaning rod I'll try a dual bearing carbon Tipton, and although it's simply personal preference, I don't care for their handle design.