PDA

View Full Version : Please help this dummy with his Stevens 200.

TORCHRIDER
10-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I am a long time shooter and reloader and have even built a couple 1911's and 10/22's.
However, I just purchased my first Stevens 200 (Better late than never) and want to convert it to another caliber. The gun is currently chambered in .270 Win. so I am pretty sure it is a long action. :)

I have tons of questions, but here are my initial questions:

1. How do I know if this is a centerfeed or stagger feed magazine? Why does it matter?
2. What aftermarket stocks will fit this action? What stock do you recommend for bench, bipod and afield use?
3. Who makes barrels pre-chambered and ready for installation on my action?

Thanks!

Dave

placek59
10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Some quick answers
1. If you remove the action from the stock, does the magazine stay in the stock or stay with the action? If it stays in the stock, it is a centerfeed.

2. There are relatively few stock options for a long action centerfeed, but they can be converted easily to centerfeed since the screw spacing is the same on both. The stock will depend on whether you want a varmint/target rifle
or a sporter / hunting rifle. I have a choate varmint that I like, but I wouldn't want to carry it hunting as it is pretty heavy. I have a couple of the boyds' varmint thumbhole on my short actions and really like them, I think their regular thumbhole would be good for a hunting rifle.

3. There are many makers of pre-fit barrels including, shilen, mcgowen, centurion (krieger button rifled), adams and bennett, sharpshootersupply (brux,douglas), sinarms (sinarms, rock creek) and probably many more. If you do a google search there are lots of
companies that make them and lots of distributors. May want to check sinarms, sss, and northlander out since they are great site sponsors.

TORCHRIDER
10-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will take the stock off this evening to check. I have a feeling it is not attached to the action but is sitting in the stock.

If I do have a centerfeed, what does it take to convert to a staggered magazine? Are there kits available? I assume that opens up more stock options? I am wanting a more varmint oriented stock that will allow me to shoot from the bench and off a bi-pod.

scratcherky
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
On question #1, if the magazine stays on the action when the stock is removed, it is a stagger feed. If the magazine remains in the stock, it is center feed. A 270 is LA.

I recently got a center feed Stevens 200 in 25-06 and purchased a walnut stock from Numrich and used it although it was a stock for a blind magazine. I just had to improvise on attaching the magazine to the stock. I then bedded the action with Devcon.

If you read thru the forums, you will find several barrel sources. What caliber are you wanting to convert to? The 270 is a very good caliber.

Good Luck!

TORCHRIDER
10-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks Scratcherky. I currently have a Tikka T3 in .270WSM so am wanting to build the Stevens into something different. I have thought about maybe a .284 Winchester or 7WSM, although I believe much more work is involved in going to a WSM cartridge. I have also toyed with the idea of going with a 6.5/06 as well. Do you have any recommendations for a long range caliber?

placek59
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
You would actually convert the stock to a centerfeed and not the action to a staggeredfeed. To convert the stock you should just need to 'mill' an area for the "L" retaining clip at the rear of the magazine, you may also need to do a little fitting. It could probably be a pain in the butt if you don't have access to a mill or other tools that may be similar. Try doing a search on here, there might be pictures or better directions. If you are on a budget, like many of us, I think the choate varmint stock is tough to beat for the money, especially if you can find one used.

TORCHRIDER
10-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I wonder if it would be easier for me to sell this rifle and buy one that has the staggered magazine? Or instead, just buy an action. This rifle looks brand new and there is not a scratch on it. Should be easy to resell. Hmmmmmm

scratcherky
10-28-2010, 05:40 PM
The short magnum barrels are large shank barrels and will not work in the 200 receiver which uses small shank barrels. As to long range calibers, afraid I can not make a suggestion. If I need more range than a 25-06 or 270, I don't shoot!

TORCHRIDER
10-28-2010, 08:59 PM
OK, I have determined that my action contains a centerfeed magazine mounted in the stock. Does anyone make a stock to support this action or am I relegated to making another stock work? :'(

sinman
10-28-2010, 09:25 PM
The 284 would be an easy swap and the wsm could be done with a barrel and bolt head change. And the wsm can be made in a small thank also.

TORCHRIDER
10-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks Sinman. I have heard about your work. Good Things. ;D
My biggest issue right now seems to be that darned centerfire magazine. Does anyone make a decent stock for that action?

~Ace~
10-28-2010, 11:32 PM
http://www.mannersstocks.com/ Tom makes some of, if not The Best stocks Period. He will Inlet it for whatever Savage you wish, with any options you wish. There not Cheap, but they ROCK, Shoot like a dream and Lifetime Warranty. Worth every dime.

ellobo
10-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Call Fred Moreo at SharpShooerSupply. he may be able to fit a stock up for what you need.

El Lobo