PDA

View Full Version : AAAARRGGGG!! trying to remove a magazine well on a model 10

mtnsmith
10-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I cannot remove the steel magazine well from the action of a Model 10 scout rifle... Man it is on there.. I don't want to bend it so does any one have any tricks on removing i? I am bedding the rifle and I want to remove it first... ??? Thanks..

mtnsmith.......................

cowboyarcher
10-28-2010, 04:08 PM
I mount them in an action vice, and use a flat bar against the front of the mag to pop them out. Getting them back in is another trick altogether. . .

Adam

mtnsmith
10-28-2010, 04:23 PM
OK, thanks Adam, but is it worth it to take it out or maybe just tape up the damned thing so it doesn't get bedding material all over it? Can it be taken out and then put back in without bending the bloody thing?

mtnsmith.............

dcloco
10-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Lots of pics here:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,36657.msg257208.html#msg257208

Charleslv
10-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I am assuming this is is an older one with mag well attatched to the action. All right put it in a vise mag well up. Remove the trigger. Easy to do (Hard to put back on). Now take a rubber mallet and smash it (Just kidding) Actuall holding the mag and pulling up with slight pressure and pulling back towards the barrel tap the front of the mag box with a swift smack. go light and gradually build up and eventually you will get the feel. I use the following mallet: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Hammer-Mallets-Sledges/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg6Zaqub/R-100144220/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I find this way the easieast and to be honest I tried a C-Clamp and crushed. Tried a pry and bent the tabs and scratched the action tried some funck vise grips. The problem is the apply pressure slowly and disform the mag box. The hammer method causes it flex but not bend permanetly.

kelbro
10-30-2010, 08:55 AM
I use a large set of snap-ring pliers. Quick and easy. No damage.