PDA

View Full Version : T10 Recommendations

JoeJoe
12-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Started my barrel swap this afternoon and quickly ran into my first snag.......T10 bits keep twisting when trying to remove the scope base. Any recommendations on strong bits???

hamiltonkiler
12-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharpshooter
12-06-2019, 02:40 PM
Use a drift punch with a flat end and give the screws a smack.

JoeJoe
12-06-2019, 03:48 PM
Thanks......punch worked like a charm!

jkv45
12-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Heat

I've been amazed at what localized heat can do for stubborn fasteners.

Many times it's high strength threadlocker that's holding it, and heat will release it.

Robinhood
12-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how many people use the incorrect thread locker on small screws. I have never found the need with correctly torqued fasteners unless they are subjected to a continuous high frequency vibration.

JoeJoe
12-06-2019, 05:50 PM
No thread locker here......I've never used it either. I'm guessing the original installation of this base occurred prior to me getting a torque driver.....In a prior life I used to "eyeball" things a bit :rolleyes:

charlie b
12-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Yep, I only use threadlocker when there is significant vibration (like my old motorcycle) or if I don't ever plan on removing the screws. Kinda to prove that I have a bottle of blue loctite that is at least 20 years old and still seems to be about half full.

In the old days I had one of those 'hammer' type impact drivers. It was great for stubborn screws. Had to use a smaller hammer for smaller screws. Found that out the hard way :)

Bill2905
12-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how many people use the incorrect thread locker on small screws. I have never found the need with correctly torqued fasteners unless they are subjected to a continuous high frequency vibration.

That's good information to know. I use the correct type but don't like cleaning it out of the threads when the screws have to be removed in the future. I use a good torque wrench and won't bother with it next time.