PDA

View Full Version : bell&carlson 2999 vs new choate

learjet
10-28-2010, 07:45 AM
my son wants a to replace the tupperware on his staggered feed 10FP. looks like the B&C medalist or the newer model choate are his favorites so far. can anyone tell me which is heavier? ive never seen either stock. i have seen the choate ultimate sniper, and the grip was huge and the thing was heavy. anyone got the weights on the 2 we r lookin at? any good or bad experiences / recomendations?

TIA!

lear

MDM
10-28-2010, 07:53 AM
The Choate Tactical is about 3.8lbs and the Medalist is a little lighter. I have a medalist and I just received a Choate tactical yesterday. Both are good solid stocks for the price. The Choate has the adjustable butt spacers, so that may benefit your boy. Depends on how he will be shooting. If its for shooting off the bench, the Medalist may be better because of the flat bottom. If he will be shooting prone, the Choate Tactical may be better. Both are well made, solid stocks.

learjet
10-29-2010, 06:44 AM
hey thx! we r leaning toward the choate, but itll be a week or so till he orders it. if u see anything u like or dislike about yours please lemme know. we were shootin his 10FP yesterday, and it would shott 1/2moa w S165gks over varget(gettin rdy for deer season) as long as he didnt apply any twist to the stock at all. if he tightened his grip op he'd twist everything a bit, the stock would contact the barrel, and shed open up oer 1 moa. he hadnt seen this before, and was amazed hehe...he'd been shootin my 308/HS precision, which let him build some sloppy habits

thx again!

lear

jwpark
10-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah, my Choate Tactical stock came yesterday. It is massively wide, and I'm a pretty big guy. That and I don't like the feel of the Choate. Feels very plasticy and weak.

I'm gonna return the Choate and go with a B&C

Jay

snipecatcher
11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I have both, and prefer the Choate for the feel and quality of the stock. I have an action mounted in the Choate (waiting on a barrel) and the B&C is on my 300 whisper. Both stocks are wide, bulky, and fairly heavy. The Choate just feels better.

learjet
11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
thx! guys

LG
11-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I have a Choate Tactical stock. Originally it weighed 3 lb 14 oz according to my digital fish scale. (Now it's full of lead and weighs 8 lb 8 oz :o )

The Choate Tactical is heavy, but not as heavy as the Ultimate Sniper which weighs close to 6 lbs.