PDA

View Full Version : First time Savage purchase, not going well.

Dbenham
12-01-2019, 12:02 AM
Hey everyone, I’m a R 700 guy that decided to venture from the beaten path. The kid abducted my rifle so I thought I would try an axis II in 6.5 C. Read lots of nice things on Savage now for a while. Avid hunter and occasional competition shooter. Purchased at Acadamy day before yesterday. Good price plus a $75 rebate. Happy until I loaded the mag and tried to feed a round into the chamber. First try was a no go. The cartridge stuck about 2/3 of the way in. Dropped the mag and removed the bolt. Use a rod to remove the case. To make a long story short, I was able after a couple of more attempts to fully chamber one. After ejecting and inspecting the brass I found several moderate scratches down the length of the brass. Took some pics with my I phone of the chamber, looks really bad. It will chamber all the way now but will not feed correctly with steady pressure on the bolt. I was hoping to use the rifle next week. I guess my only options are to send back for repair. Any advice will be helpful. Has anyone heard of this issue?
thanks

Duane

tiny68
12-01-2019, 02:18 AM
If you haven't shot it yet, I would take it back to the store and exchange it. I would definitely have a look at the chamber with a bore scope before I tried to chamber a round. My major question is "are the scratches coming from the magazine or from the chamber itself. One way to check is to top feed a round into the chamber and see if the bolt closes smoothly. If is doesn't with factory ammo, then don't fire it and return to the store.

Luck, Tim

Robinhood
12-01-2019, 02:33 AM
Take it back and get a 110 in the same cartridge.

drybean
12-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Welcome aboard

Dbenham
12-01-2019, 12:17 PM
If you haven't shot it yet, I would take it back to the store and exchange it. I would definitely have a look at the chamber with a bore scope before I tried to chamber a round. My major question is "are the scratches coming from the magazine or from the chamber itself. One way to check is to top feed a round into the chamber and see if the bolt closes smoothly. If is doesn't with factory ammo, then don't fire it and return to the store.

Luck, Tim

Thanks Tim,
i have not fired it. Academy’s policy is all sales are final. They said they would sent it back for repair. I may go to beg and plead for an exchange but don’t expect that. Scratches are definitely chamber. After the initial round stuck I removed the mag and would drop the round straight into the chamber. Has this issue come up in the forum before or am I that unlucky to experience this issu?

thanks again
Duane

tiny68
12-01-2019, 01:05 PM
Savage used to test fire every rifle to verify function. Seems like a chamber issue like that would be hard to miss. It happens. Sorry to hear you got the lemon. I am sure will make it good.

I forgot to say it previously - welcome aboard.

tim

ttexastom
12-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the savage family.

GaCop
12-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the Savage family. I feel your pain. I have an Axis that is having light primer strikes and am sending the bolt back to Savage.

ragsflh
12-08-2019, 11:25 AM
welcome

Robinhood
12-08-2019, 03:22 PM
All kidding aside, have you tried to load the cartridge from the magazine by moving slowly?

azguy
12-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Very possable that the bolt head is turned wrong, one way for short the other for long cartriges.