PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110S Left hand build 6.5 Creedmoor

Shortbox4x4
11-30-2019, 09:26 PM
So here are the components for my left hand 110S build.

I found an original left handed stock NOS and picked it up for $75.

The action. I bought a left handed 110 that was orgininally in 243win. It was made in 1966. It had a factory funky 110c mag body with a insert put into it for a blind magazine set up. I guess they did this kind of stuff.

I picked up a new short action box magazine from GP for $11.50. That way I got rid of the funky factory set up and didn't have to inlet the mag well area bigger to clear the 110c release system.

I cannot bring myself to thread the original bolt handle but I had an extra left handed handle already threaded so thru it on the bolt.

Next up is to get a new recoil lug (I've been using the .225" thick lugs) and will true the receiver face and double pin the lug to the receiver at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

I'll true/recut the bolt face to clean it up and lap the lugs of the bolt to the receiver as well.

In the mean time I'll get a new barrel made for it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it in 6.5 Creedmoor. Will do it in 1-8 twist. Either 5R rifling or conventional 5 groove rifling.

Will pillar bed the stock. I'll rework/retune the factory trigger. Pick up a EGW 20moa scope base as well.

I'll keep you posted and add more pictures as things get done.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Shortbox4x4
11-30-2019, 10:17 PM
The only thing I haven’t decided on is how I’m going to set the barrel up.

I’ll duplicate the Savage target/silhouette contour and finish it at 22” long but not sure if I’m going to set it up with the Savage barrel nut or we will duplicate the breech end of the barrel contour so it has the contour of the nut already there so you wouldn’t need the nut at all then. If I do it this way will thread the barrel like you would a Remington and set the headspace like you would a Remmy or Winchester etc....

JW
12-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Frank, looks like you are having a lot of fun with this.
I enjoy it too!
I know you don't need advice but here it is anyway LOL
I would do the barrel without the nut like you mentioned. contour to the size of the nut and shoulder. It would be one of a kind for sure.
If you didn't like it you could go back with the barrel nut.
This is going to be another nice rifle!
Thanks for sharing
Jack

Shortbox4x4
12-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Don’t know what happen to my post.

Where it’s at right now.....lapped the lugs of the bolt this week. My .225” thick recoil lug came yesterday. When I can get the receiver into the machine will double pin the lug to the receiver but after I true the receiver face. The lug is S.S.

Grabbed a older Picatinny scope base I had made in the past and will use it. It’ll save me a few bucks for now. It’s got a 10moa built into it.

Will clean/true up the bolt face as well.

I cut a order this past week for another batch of drop in/prefit Savage 110 barrels for 6.5mm. On that order I do have one barrel for myself with the barrel contoured to mimic the Savage bolt nut on it.

Jack, I have a pretty cool idea on the barrel contour I’m going to try. I’ll keep this as a surprise for now.

Jack your welcome on the sharing of the build! Glad your following!

Later, Frank

Shortbox4x4
12-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Forgot to add.....made Allen head action screws for the stock/receiver this week as well. No more slotted screw heads.

gbflyer
12-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Hey now...4-6 months for a new barrel and you’re fooling around with a Savage?[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Just a fellow lefty pokin’ fun. Keep up the good work. [emoji106]

PS. Just saw a pic of one of your barrels on Borden’s FB page. I guess you’re doing real work too. Hahahahaha.

Shortbox4x4
12-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Thanks gbflyer! No problem on the jab!

I make all the guys/regardless of who it is....they need a barrel they come into the office and we put an order in the system for them just like we cut for a normal customer.

Can and or have we pushed one thru quicker.....yes we have but most of the times the guys wait for it just like everyone else. Also when it’s a caliber we don’t run all the time I’m not gonna go thru all the work to set up to do one special caliber/barrel for just one piece for a guy in the shop. It doesn’t make sense. I’ve already for myself waited 4 to 6 months for a barrel for myself.

Just like the run of Savage prefits we are doing right now in 6.5mm. My barrel will get threaded at the same time when we do the other ones. I’m not going to make Justin set up to do the threading for just one piece. Hmmm? I should make him come in next week Saturday on his own time and do it! LOL! I won’t but it’s a good thought!