PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 7mm Rem Mag Barrel to fit an older Savage 110

oldwrench
11-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Kind of an odd request but I have an older Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that has a damaged chamber. I'd like to replace the barrel with an ordinary factory barrel in good condition. I don't know of a source other than top tier after market barrels which gets cost prohibitive. Any one have any ideas? thank you & as always - Safe Shooting

charlie b
11-27-2019, 03:20 PM
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/clearance/

mikeinco
11-27-2019, 03:49 PM
i have a recent removal, like new bbl. no idea what you need.

strut64
11-27-2019, 04:19 PM
There are 2 issues I am aware of. One is the size of the thread. The second is the style of bolt head on your bolt. You start by pulling your bolt. Is it a flat face or have a protruding nose. An older gun will have a small shank. 1 an 1/8 inch OD. Pictures would help.

tobnpr
11-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Used barrels are always a risk, but keep an eye on Fleabay as they sometimes turn up there.
A "NTO" or new take-off is the best bet, but always inquire about the reason for selling. 7 Mag is common, and not a terrible barrel burner- but no reason to buy one with a high round count that would be a waste of time and money.

Shortbox4x4
11-28-2019, 09:37 PM
There are 2 issues I am aware of. One is the size of the thread. The second is the style of bolt head on your bolt. You start by pulling your bolt. Is it a flat face or have a protruding nose. An older gun will have a small shank. 1 an 1/8 inch OD. Pictures would help.

You are correct that the first series/older guns had a different extractor/ejector so they had a different bolt nose.

Breech threads the small shank threads are spec’ s at 1.055” and the newer large shank threads are 1.120”.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Shortbox4x4
11-28-2019, 09:38 PM
Used barrels are always a risk, but keep an eye on Fleabay as they sometimes turn up there.
A "NTO" or new take-off is the best bet, but always inquire about the reason for selling. 7 Mag is common, and not a terrible barrel burner- but no reason to buy one with a high round count that would be a waste of time and money.

He made all good points!

There is a factory Savage 7mm mag barrel on Ebay right now.

charlie b
11-28-2019, 09:46 PM
There is one at Northland in the link posted above.

Whynot
11-28-2019, 11:13 PM
Also be aware that the stamping on the barrel will more than likely not line up correctly once you head space the barrel. In a perfect world it would.... but you're dealing with a Savage.

Shortbox4x4
11-28-2019, 11:31 PM
Also be aware that the stamping on the barrel will more than likely not line up correctly once you head space the barrel. In a perfect world it would.... but you're dealing with a Savage.

This is because the threads of the receiver are not timed. Your also dealing with receiver length tolerances as well as bolt tolerances as well as the bolt face/headspace tolerances. Even if everything would be with in say .002” when you start stacking the tolerances you end up with possible issues.

Don’t forget even with a Savage you have with most calibers a headspace tolerance of .006”. So if you use a go gage that is at zero and you run the barrel up till the go gage hits the bolt face etc...and the barrel per say is timed off a little you might be able to back the barrel off and tighten up the nut and you could be at +.004” on headspace which is fine and won’t hurt anything. Then again you might not. If the barrel doesn’t quite time up (you come up short) you can take a measurement and take a finish reamer and set the headspace. This brings up another problem you don’t necessarily know what spec chamber reamer was used. Custom? SAAMI min spec.?) Production chamber spec.? So the reamer might not cut the whole chamber and or throat cleanly when you set the headspace. When you do stuff like this keep in mind it can effect the accuracy.

All that being said even custom actions you have tolerances that you have to deal with and again most actions the threads are not timed on the receivers/barrels.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Shortbox4x4
11-28-2019, 11:47 PM
Earlier this year I rebuilt two 112 Varminter (J series single shots made back in the 70’s). Both original barrels where junk. One rifle was a 223 Rem and the other was originally a 243 Winchester. Set both barrels up the same way and set headspace depth the same way as well. I set these up with the barrel nut. On other Savages I’ve set them up with out the nut and shouldered the barrel like you would a Rem. 700 or Win. 70 etc...

Anyways all went perfectly with the 223 gun. The new barrel that went on the original 243win rifle (new barrel is in 6BRA) I noticed the bolt would just barely kiss/touch the breech face of the receiver. When this happens it will cause accuracy issues. I didn’t change the headspace but I took the barrel off and cut .010” off the breech face to give the bolt to breech face proper clearance. Both guns shoot like a million bucks!

We’ve made a couple runs of drop in/pre fit barrels for standard small shank. Out of the first two runs we made I had one customer that had the same issue. Bolt was touching the back of the barrel. This is because of the tolerances on the receivers and bolts etc...