PDA

View Full Version : Stevens vs Savage Edge

tuit
10-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Posted a few weeks ago asking for advise
about an Savage Edge and Stevens 200.
Thank you for the response.
At the time I had not actually held either one yet, just
Looking at web sites trying to compare the two.
Finally went to Academy Sports, they had the
Edge w/o scope for $256. Picked one up for the first time,
first thought was very cheap feeling and the barrel was
as rough as a file. Nobody around here has a
Stevens 200 so can't pick one up to feel the
Difference. Does the Stevens feel as cheap as the
Edge and is the barrel finish any smoother ???

Once again- using a tiny iPhone that I have not
Mastered yet.
Thanks in advance- Hal

Herman
10-27-2010, 07:30 PM
The finish is a Black Ice type Teflon coating, it's supposed to be a little rough. It's not the typical Blued steel.

The Edge may have a cheap feel (common with some synthetic stocks), but I'm shooting .5 MOA with mine in .223.

duhast
10-27-2010, 11:55 PM
What he said.

The finish is a no-glare texture. It's not an English double rifle, I'm fine with the finish.

So, the buttstock's hollow, so what? Some have filled it with insulating foam, I think it's a good survivalist hide. Remove sling swivel, pops right open.

Biggest problem I had with it was the trigger. Rifle Basix told me it's 8#'s. I did get a RB trigger, but because I wanted to see if I could do it, and because it's my wife's first rifle, I did a Bubba job and replaced the stock spring and got the pull to about 4#'s. She's gonna train on that for a while before she gets a 2-2.5 # trigger...

I think the Edge is a great value.

sharpshooter
10-28-2010, 12:47 AM
The finish is a Black Ice type Teflon coating, it's supposed to be a little rough. It's not the typical Blued steel.

The Edge may have a cheap feel (common with some synthetic stocks), but I'm shooting .5 MOA with mine in .223.

The finish is blued steel,i.e, black oxide. Savage never used teflon. The 10FP's are black parkerize with a shot peened surface.

lucy123
10-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I bought my son an edge in 30-06 it shoots some fine groups.

Golfbuddy45
10-28-2010, 11:28 AM
For the price of the EDGE you get a pretty good shooting gun. Dick's is selling them With Scope for less than you stated on sale this week. Don't have the Sunday flyer but I think it was less.

I would rather have a SAVAGE "ANYTHING" as compared to a Remington of equal or half as much more. Obviously you get into another category when you go top of the line models -

- but SAVAGE is still better on any level - although I do have a sweet tooth for REAL Marlin Stainless Steel Lever Rifles. No telling what Remington is going to do to them - but that is a sore subject on another forum . . .

GB45

speed trap
10-28-2010, 01:24 PM
I might have to plunk down some money and get an Edge for a .223 truck gun....

Keep hearing good things about the accuracy.

tuit
10-28-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm very sorry if I offended anybody. I did not mean for this post to sound like it did.
I am used to lugging a heavy shot gun around- rifles are a new experience.
Trying to learn what I can. Hard having Champaign appetite on a beer budget these days.
Thank you for your responses.

Golfbuddy45
10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
:o :o :o

Din't offend me - I didn't know exactly what the finish of an EDGE is but knew it was something different. But I do know for the money they work right well!!

-- and besides - we're all friends here who like to talk and share the knowledge....

GB45

::) ::) ::)

Wtex
11-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Tuit,

Have a Stevens 200 in 223 I picked up last year. It can shoot 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at a 100 yds with Sierra hp reloads from a bench using a wooden rest. The barrel has a smooth blue finish that is not as refined as the Savages 110s I've seen, the stock is light and cheap. From what I've read the Edge shoots very well especially for the price, but it looks a little different with its skinny grip. I looked at an Edge and decided to stay with my Stevens, you should look at both of them before you decide.

jawjadawg
11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Is there any reason the edge can't be used for a custom build? I like the way Savage changed the look of the receiver. It also comes with a drop box magazine -current price is $325 at Dicks and comes with what is probably an el cheapo scope that would be fine mounted on something I planned to sell or a 22. The bolt handle is also better looking to me. Will the receiver fit the standard stocks of other Savages with the same bolt spacing?

Herman
11-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Is there any reason the edge can't be used for a custom build? I like the way Savage changed the look of the receiver. It also comes with a drop box magazine -current price is $325 at Dicks and comes with what is probably an el cheapo scope that would be fine mounted on something I planned to sell or a 22. The bolt handle is also better looking to me. Will the receiver fit the standard stocks of other Savages with the same bolt spacing?

Other than a barrel swap and new trigger, there are not many other options for after market parts available and the Edge isn't as interchangeable with other models as the Stevens.

If you want to do custom work, at the time being, the Stevens is the way to go. If you want a cheap gun that is a good shooter, the Edge is the way to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more aftermarket pats pop up for the Edge, however I don't think it will ever be as versatile for custom work as the Stevens.

LG
11-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Will the receiver fit the standard stocks of other Savages with the same bolt spacing?

No it won't fit. The spacing is different on the Edge

tuit
11-04-2010, 09:53 PM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!
To everybody that replied - I ordered a Stevens 200 .223 on
Monday Oct. 1st and just received it on Thursday Oct. 4th.
I was going to order from Wholesale Hunter for $264 w/o scope.
By the time I paid shipping and FFL transfere the price was almost
the same price as having a local pawn shop ordering a new one for me.
Ended up $300 plus tax, plus kept the transaction local.
Very pleased with the Stevens, has the weight I was looking for - very
Solid feeling and the barrel finish is smooth. I could not get past
the finish of the Edge, just one of my quirks.
Now just have to pick up a base and rings, then see if I can hit
the brawd side of a barn with it.

Thanks again for your input,
I hope that I can help some body in the future, like y'all helped me.
Hal

Wtex
11-05-2010, 02:59 AM
I think you'll like the Stevens. The only negative is the trigger is heavy, but there are several articles on here about how to make it lighter. You'll be pleased how well it shoots for an inexpensive rifle.

don lynch
11-05-2010, 06:41 PM
if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with that baby, it won't be the gun. i've got one and i love mine. it's a fun gun to tinker with. every thing you do will make it shoot better,bedding,trigger, adding a single shot loading ramp,which i really like. i shortened the stock on mine, old arms are getting shorter i guess. have shot 6 coyotes with mine so far. 55 gr nos. bal.tip ahead of 25.5 grs of w748. have fun with it.
don