PDA

View Full Version : Leupold VX3 Low Profile on Long Action - Low Base Suggestion

kohler
11-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Anyone using the subject line on Savage long action with low base with successful barrel clearance and ejection?

This week my gs swapped a VX3L from a Rem 700 with low base and 16th inch clearance between the objective lens and barrel to a Savage long action with medium height base it looks. I didn’t say anything figuring I’d give it a spin. I’m guessing the Rem 700 used Leupold mounts and rings. The Savage rings are Weaver maybe, base not sure.

Today I went to the range. The scope has a CDS dial etched correctly for a 270 win 150 gr Partition. Zeroed at 200 yards the scope has about 8 clicks of UP adjustment before deadheading ( about 50 clicks total click span). I assume dropping mount height would give more range north.

Anyone have a better lower mount ring combo?

This is the first time out for this semi custom 270’win. Bartlein sporter SSS Monte Carlo stock Bedded by SSS and T&T using DR Greenlaw rest for second time. I didn’t really break in the barrel by any known protocol but it did great. Thanks to all you craftsmen!

Jester560
11-17-2019, 10:24 PM
You will have to use either a base with cant(such as a 20 moa) or you can use Burris XTR Signature rings that have different inserts to allow you to adjust zero.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kohler
11-20-2019, 07:07 PM
Yep. Leupold said mount height (lowering scope) won’t change available clicks, recommended their 20 moa picatinny rail.

hamiltonkiler
11-21-2019, 06:45 AM
DNZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
11-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Im wondering why you are approximately 20 MOA from the center of your 50 MOA vertical adjustment on a Leupold VX3. It is almost like you have a 20 MOA base on backwards.

Barrel threads undersized; allowing the barrel to cock or run a different axis?
Barrel Bent?
Mismatched Rings?

kohler
11-22-2019, 02:15 PM
I’ll assume Bartlein made a straight 22 inch barrel. They also mated the barreled action using NSS lug and nut I provided. SSS put it on their Sporter stock. All A-Team at this point. How to check undersized threads?

The first non professional performed function was I lifted it off the stock to set trigger at 3 pounds.

Thinking back on it the scope was bought CDS incapable. When CDS made its debut I sent it to Leupold who made a mechanical change to make it CDS friendly. Maybe related to current adjustment?

I will look into the base and rings more after Tgiving. I only had 7 rounds of Federal 150 grain Partitions to sight in with which isn’t much when knob turning and replacing the CDS knob twice. WI deer season starts tomorrow. Don’t know if I’m going yet but the rig is functional.

On the bright side at 200 yards the last adjustment and last round punched the center. With my glaucoma eye scooted up at 10x I’ll take that as a win.

kohler
11-23-2019, 11:30 PM
I referred to the original box, the scope actually is a VX-L 3x10.