PDA

View Full Version : 300WM to 300WSM

rinodods
10-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Got a 111 in 300WM I was thinking about getting a 300WSM barrel for in a lighter contour than varmint. Thought maybe also with the long action I might be able to play with getting the longer VLD's seated out farther to run from the mag with the WSM. I know I'll have to order a barrel since most of the stock WSM's are a large shank. I also saw that the WSM's have a different extractor setup. The case heads look very close in size so I was wondering if my current bolt will work with both rounds? Anybody running something similar? Any issues with feeding?

wbm
10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Don't have one now but last year I had a large shank 300WSM barrel sitting in the closet and an unused long action receiver. Needed a winter project so I had the barrel re-threaded to a small shank at a gunsmiths for $35 and went from there. I put it on a long action with a magnum bolt head. My goal was the same as yours...to shoot heavy Berger VLD's without short action restrictions on bullet length. Actually feeding and extraction were a bit better than my son's stock Savage with the control round center feed. Don't think I would do it again but it was a fun project.

geargrinder
10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I've done a couple long action WSM's. My latest is a LH centerfeed with DBM with a 300WSM Hart barrel. Works great.

rinodods
10-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks guys. That is about what I figured. Might be fun. Won't gain much over my 300wm but I'll be able to play with seating a little more and use slightly less powder. Should be fun to try.