PDA

View Full Version : Does 284 win use the same bolt face as a 308 win?

madison
10-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey guys,

Would like to think I know the answer to this but I'd love some verification please! I know that the case heads are the same size(diameter) for both cartridges(standard .473) but was curious whether or not the .500" webb on the 284 win effects the bolt face requirement for this case. Does anyone know this offhand?

The reason I'm curious is that I have a Savage 10 pc in 308 win and thought it might be fun to buy a chambered and prefitted barrel from pac nor in 284 winchester. I understand that the case retention lips on the mag will have to be widened slightly to allow the rebated rim of the 284 to ride high enough for the rim to consistently engage the bolt. I have measured the mag length and found that it will allow a COAL of 3" with a few hundredths to spare, which should be long enough for me to seat out the 140s and 160s in this cartridge in a short action without eating up case capacity.

Are there any other obvious obstacles to what i'm thinking of doing?

I like the short action, accutrigger, accustock setup on the 10pc and was looking for a way to chamber it in something fun with a little better ballistics than the 308.

Thanks.

Con
10-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Same bolt-face ... which will measure larger than 0.473" anyway. In an inline box it should be an easy conversion ... but may require a little tinkering.
Cheers...
Con