PDA

View Full Version : 110 Apex Hunter XP LH in .308 Win. not grouping

uncle-buck
11-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Gave a close friend a 110 Apex Hunter XP LH in .308 Win. He was not able to get it to group consistently and neither have I - yet.
I own three other Savages (with Accustock) and they are all consistent shooters, but this one is a mystery. Mounted a known good scope, shot a 5-shot one inch group and thought the issue was the factory scope. Went back a few days later with the good scope, same ammo, and shots were all over the map. Was shooting off of a Caldwell Tackdriver front rest with a good rear bag.
Tried some hand loads with a range of Varget powder charges and Hornady 150 gr. bullets, too.
Scope rail is mounted correctly as are the scope rings. And both action screws are torqued to 60 - 65 in. lbs.
My suspicion is that the plastic forend of the stock is contacting the barrel during recoil, but don't know for sure.
Any other ideas?
If it is the stock forend, how can it be stiffened so that it doesn't touch the barrel during recoil?
Thanks

Jester560
11-06-2019, 02:04 PM
If the forend of the stock is flexing, that is a big part of your problem. I had the same issue with my 22-250. With the factory stock it was a 2 moa rifle. Put a Boyd's stock on it and is now a 1/4 moa rifle at 200 yards. The stock makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

uncle-buck
11-06-2019, 09:26 PM
If the forend of the stock is flexing, that is a big part of your problem. I had the same issue with my 22-250. With the factory stock it was a 2 moa rifle. Put a Boyd's stock on it and is now a 1/4 moa rifle at 200 yards. The stock makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Don't know yet whether or not the stock is flexing, but that is a likely probability.
The rifle has a bottom bolt release. Where do you buy the correct bottom metal to fit the Boyd's stock and wouldn't it also require a different type of cartridge magazine?
Does Boyd's inlet their stocks for the recoil lug?
Thanks

hamiltonkiler
11-07-2019, 04:01 PM
Bed the action. Pour JB weld in the ribs of the forend. It will be stiff. Sand the sides of the stock away from the barrel.
Front action screw 65# rear action screw 25#.
Is what my gun prefers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncle-buck
11-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Bed the action. Pour JB weld in the ribs of the forend. It will be stiff. Sand the sides of the stock away from the barrel.
Front action screw 65# rear action screw 25#.
Is what my gun prefers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Am going in that direction.

uncle-buck
11-30-2019, 08:35 PM
Found the culprit. The scope base screws had become loose. Applied some blue Loctite to them, torqued to 30 in. lbs., and the rifle is now a shooter.

Thanks again for the tips and suggestions.