PDA

View Full Version : Bench shooting technique,your thoughts PLEASE!!!

orionsoracle
10-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Gentlemen, I am looking for some opinions and techniques on PROPER bench rest shooting technique. I have a Caldwell lead sled with roughly 80lbs of weight on it. Do you feel that the forearm should be held firmly into the shoulder,or left untouched? Will that effect my POI when I am in a hunting situation. Please help and thank you for your time.

Harriershot
10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
If you are bench shooting a rifle that it's primary purpose is for hunting you should recreate your hunting hold on the bench.
This is what I do.
I use a Harris bi-pod under the front because I usually shoot off of sticks, and a sandbag under the rear of the stock. I hold the fore end of the stock pulling it into my shoulder simulating the real thing. I wrap my right hand around the pistol grip as well to simulate a true hunting hold.
I am sure the way you put different pressures on the rifle will effect it's POI. The main thing to remember besides shooting regularly, when bench shooting is consistency of method will produce the best groups.

Charlie

82boy
10-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I believe the question you are asking is how to shoot a lead sled, because proper "bench rest shooting" that rest would be illeagle. Benchrest states that the front and rear rest must be independent.

racinready300ex
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
82 is right, most bechrest competitions are done with a front rest and rear bag.

Personally I use a cladwell front with a custom top, and a protector bunny ear rear bag.

My technique would be free recoil. The key to this is getting the gun to track the sameway everytime. My shoulder is 3/4" behind the but stock, I don't touch the front. My eye is back away from the scope which cuts parrallex and will keep you from busting your eye. I then pinch the trigger.

It's not as easy as some seem to think. If you don't have good trigger control you can really move the gun alot. If your shoulder stops the gun early, or the stock hits the rear bag you POI will change. If you flinch when the scope comes back at your face you'll probably miss. If you apply pressure on the rear bag this can change POI. To much pressure on the stock changes POI. Get the gun back to the same firing postion. etc.

You just have to play with it, I'm always changeing the way I do things in search of more consistant results. Every gun likes something different.