PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99c with no lever boss code

Savage11
10-30-2019, 02:28 PM
I have checked with a magnifying glass and cannot find the lever boss code on my Savage 99c 308 Win, where else would it be?

J.Baker
10-30-2019, 09:22 PM
The lever boss code was only used for select years. Being yours is a detachable magazine model and the absence of a boss code letter I would presume the serial number on the rifle starts with a letter. We have a chart you can use to date your rifle by the serial number for those with the letter prefix which can be found in one of the stickied threads in this board.

The only other explanation would be that the rifle was reblued at some point and during that process the lever boss code was polished out.

snoeproe
11-06-2021, 11:17 PM
This may clarify somethings.
I have 2 99’s. both 300 savage.
one has a lever boss code stamp, the other doesn’t.
The older of my 2 99’s has E stamp on the lever boss. Model 99 stamp on the barrel. 1953 I guess. It has the counter window. Also has a longer barrel than my other 99.

My other 99 has a Model 99E Series A stamp, no lever boss stamp. Serial number starts with G. My smith says early to mid 60’s. This one was pops gun. No counter window on pops gun. This has a shorter barrel than my other 99 does.
I’m guessing these guns have been in Canada their entire lives.