PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Position Changes Length Of Pull Needed ??

Bama
10-23-2019, 05:42 PM
I apologize for my basic questions but have tried a search of the archives here and can't find an answer . Does the length of pull that is best for you change with shooting position - bench , prone , etc. ? I'm obviously just beginning to learn .
Thanks.

Robinhood
10-24-2019, 02:20 AM
Prone definitely moves the scope forward from offhand or sitting.

LoneWolf
10-24-2019, 06:29 AM
You can try to find a happy medium, but in reality they are different shooting styles and require different set ups for best results. Prone typically longer LOP and off hand typically shorter feels most natural. Set up the rifle to how you will most likely shoot it a Hugh percentage of the time.

Bama
10-24-2019, 08:04 AM
Thank you . That is what I experienced but thought I had missed something about shooting prone .

Bama
10-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Thank you . Will just have to learn to adjust if I want to shoot prone . Lots to learn .

sharpshooter
10-24-2019, 12:24 PM
A lot of it will depend on your physical build. Some shooters have more "range" because of the way their physical attributes are. I have one customer that has a long neck and slender shoulders, and his extreme between positions is almost 2 inches. Another customer is short and squatty with almost no neck, and his biggest problem is eye relief. His length of pull doesn't vary that much, but he has to reposition his scope 2 slots on the piccatinny rail between positions.

Stumpkiller
10-24-2019, 02:03 PM
The neck length and head shape can create more noticeable changes to eye relief of the scope, but it is your shoulder from the trigger that determines the proper length of pull. Sitting and standing we tend to twist our torso and lean the head in, but prone we angle the whole body while keeping the neck straighter and that tends to favor a slightly longer LOP. Happily, length of pull isn't a big concern once you get everything else adjusted and if you're not shooting for speed you can use body English to accommodate 3/4" +/- pretty well.

Bama
10-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Thanks . Just average build here . Was just surprised when I began to practice prone and it seemed I needed to hold the pad an inch or more from my shoulder . Was pretty sure I was doing something wrong .

Bama
10-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Many thanks . Good to know that this may improve as I work on other adjustments . Going to change from the factory stock in future and may consider adjustable .

Stumpkiller
10-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Thanks . Just average build here . Was just surprised when I began to practice prone and it seemed I needed to hold the pad an inch or more from my shoulder . Was pretty sure I was doing something wrong .

I do think you're describing eye relief more than length of pull.

I have known shooters that keep a 1/3 filled beanbag for just that purpose. I seldom shoot prone because it's either snow, mud, tall grass or insufficient time for that. Though it is a very stable position for load development if you don't have a bench available.

Bama
10-24-2019, 11:03 PM
Thanks. Very possible that I am confusing the two things . I would like to get more comfortable shooting prone because , like you said , it seems to be a very stable position.

LoneWolf
10-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Also fundamentally the more canted off the gun you are the more your LOP and eye relief will change between positions. Squaring up to the gun keeps it the most consistent, but isn't possible with unsupported positions. Prone and other supported positions regardless of height can be extremely consistent if practiced properly. However, if you lay prone and are canted off 45* from the rifle you run into a slew of other inconsistencies. Yes, you can shoot like that, yes, some even prefer it, but long story short it's fundamentally incorrect for the most stability/efficiency.

Bama
10-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Thank you . I had read about squaring up while shooting prone and was attempting to do this . As you say , practicing may solve most of my problems.

Stumpkiller
10-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Proper practice. Practicing improper techniques just prolongs them.

May I recommend Abebooks.com (used book seller) and a search on Jack O'Connors Complete Book of Rifle and Shotgun Shooting. Best $4.70 you'll ever spend.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22883441533&searchurl=an%3DJack%2BO%2527Connor%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title21

Bama
10-26-2019, 01:22 PM
Thank you . This sounds like the type of thing I've been looking for . I'm all to familiar with prolonging bad habits .
EDIT : Got the book from AbeBooks as you suggested ( $5.08 with tax ) . The cheapest listing for the same book on Amazon was $42.95 ( except the electronic version ).