PDA

View Full Version : Axis Finally Responding Well

Pages : 1 [2]

Fullquiver
11-19-2019, 07:28 PM
I machined mine out of a piece of brass bar stock.. I have occasional access to a small metal lathe.. How was it binding up? on the FP or bolt body? The FP is supported on both ends with the bolt head and the screw in rear cap I made my washer to fit within the tolerances I figured would be the most precise yet give me assured clearances with the consideration of the tolerance of the FP in the bolt body.. If I can get some extra time I will build one for you to try...

GaCop
11-20-2019, 07:48 AM
I machined mine out of a piece of brass bar stock.. I have occasional access to a small metal lathe.. How was it binding up? on the FP or bolt body? The FP is supported on both ends with the bolt head and the screw in rear cap I made my washer to fit within the tolerances I figured would be the most precise yet give me assured clearances with the consideration of the tolerance of the FP in the bolt body.. If I can get some extra time I will build one for you to try...

It was a royal pain but, I ground down a washer using my Dremel and a grinding wheel. The washer would drop into the bolt body past the threads after grinding but once the FP/springs/bolt was assembled, the FP was frozen up. I figured leave well enough alone right now and will try again at a later date. I'm working now on fitting a 38 Super barrel to my 9 mm Rock Island 1911.

GaCop
11-20-2019, 01:28 PM
Just returned from the range and it wasn't a good experience. First round I tried, 100 grain Hornady Interlock seated .013" OTL, no go, dead primer. Seconnd round fired but the FP pierced the primer. Same thing with ther third shot. Those tried were loaded in annealed RP brass trimmed to 3.033" CCI 200 primer. IMR 7828SSC, 42.5 to 43.0 grains of powder. Max charge is 44.5 grains. 42.7 grains showed somewhat flattened primers and sticky bolt lift so I stopped and did not fire the rest. Two out of six rounds were light primer strikes and did not fire. It just stumps me that one round fails to fire because of a light FP hit yet the next two had pierced primers!

Next was a Sierra 80 gr Spitzer boat tail in the same RP brass, bullet seated .007 OTL, CCI 200 primer, IMR 4166, 37.0 to 37.6 grains. Max charge 40.3 grains. Velocity 3228 fps. 37.4 and 37.6 grain loads all had light primer strikes and did not fire.:mad::mad::mad: I give up, will call Savage about sending it in to be looked at (found my receipt).

wbm
11-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Glad you found the receipt. Let Savage fix it.

Stumpkiller
11-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Second round fired but the FP pierced the primer. Same thing with ther third shot. Those tried were loaded in annealed RP brass trimmed to 3.033" CCI 200 primer. IMR 7828SSC, 42.5 to 43.0 grains of powder. Max charge is 44.5 grains. 42.7 grains showed somewhat flattened primers and sticky bolt lift so I stopped and did not fire the rest. Two out of six rounds were light primer strikes and did not fire. It just stumps me that one round fails to fire because of a light FP hit yet the next two had pierced primers!

That sounds like two different problems. A pierced and flattened primer is an indication of excessive chamber pressure.

What load manual are you using? I'm assuming this is still your .243 WIN (didn't see it mentioned in this thread) but a trimmed length of 3.033" is WAAAAY too long. That would be way overlong for overall loaded length. 2.033" would be OK; maybe a bit short.

GaCop
11-22-2019, 08:04 AM
That sounds like two different problems. A pierced and flattened primer is an indication of excessive chamber pressure.

What load manual are you using? I'm assuming this is still your .243 WIN (didn't see it mentioned in this thread) but a trimmed length of 3.033" is WAAAAY too long. That would be way overlong for overall loaded length. 2.033" would be OK; maybe a bit short.

Yes that should have been 2.033" for the 243 Win cases. Just washed my hands and can't do a thing with em! I trim to the shortest case in the batch. I used the Hornady manual for the 100 grain Interlock loads and the Sierra manual for the 80 grain Spitzer boat tails. I have GO/NO GO gauges for the caliber so will check the factory headspace. If the head space checks out, I may just send the bolt back to Savage to be looked at.

GaCop
11-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Bolt closes on GO gauge, bolt handle barely moves when trying to close on the NOGO gauge.

Stumpkiller
11-22-2019, 02:32 PM
Hmmmmm? You have eliminated the headspace question I guess. This is going to turn out to be a tiny piece of rogue metal shaving or piece of primer anvil that somehow got trapped inside the bolt.

That or demonic possession.

charlie b
11-22-2019, 05:42 PM
I vote for demonic possession. Needs an exorcism.

wbm
11-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Yeah. Sacrifice a chicken first though...goat is better but more messy.