PDA

View Full Version : ***UPDATE***45 ACP bolt gun went to the range

dolomite_supafly
10-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Just to update my 45 ACP bolt gun project.

Considering this was the first time I have shot a rifle with open sights in years I am happy. At 200 yards I was able to keep it within 2 feet of point of aim. We all laughed at the drop as well as the delay.

Out to 100 yards I was pretty consistent and able to hit steel targets 6" in diameter about 1/2 the time. Nothing spectacular but I am pleased with the accuracy. I think some of it was because of the "cheap" ammo. I think if I load some and pay attention to the charge weights I can get it a lot more consistent. The wind was playing havoc also with gusts upt to 20 mph so I am sure that had something to do with it also.

Overall I am happy with it and will definately work for what I envisioned it being used for, problem animals out to 50 yards. Also, noise levels were not anything to worry about and actually shooting without ears wasn't even remotely painful.

On a side note, I also did some shooting with my tensioned 223 Savage. It proved very accurate, shooting MOA out to 300 between the wind gusts so I am also happy with it. Today was the most fun I have had since my accident and plan on hitting the same range on a day when the winds are calm. The range is 550 yards so there is plenty of room to stretch the legs of a few guns I have.

Dolomite

GaCop
10-04-2009, 06:05 AM
How about some pics of the tentioned 223? Nice work on the 45 project. Let's here how it shoots with quality +P+ ammo.

Eric in NC
10-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Did the short case eject with out any problems or did it drop onto the follower?

dolomite_supafly
10-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I disabled the ejector for now.

I will probably have to maching the side of the receiver up to the breech face to be able to eject the cases. The empty case just stays on the bolt face making it easy to remove as well as keep track of the casings. I reload everything I shoot so I keep all casings.

If the ejector isn't disabled the casing falls off the bolt face up in the area of the receiver where the lugs are. You have to either dig it out or tilt the rifle back and shake the casing out. Because of this I disabled the ejector to make it easier.

Dolomite

dolomite_supafly
10-04-2009, 09:16 AM
How about some pics of the tentioned 223? Nice work on the 45 project. Let's here how it shoots with quality +P+ ammo.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,25563.msg184620.html#msg184620

Dolomite

Hammer
10-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Have you chronographed any loads yet ?

dolomite_supafly
10-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Have you chronographed any loads yet ?

No, I don't own a chronograph yet. I guess I need one if I keep doing all these projects. Next project is a 7.62x39 shooting 180+gr bullets at subsonic levels.

Dolomite

Cycler
10-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Next project is a 7.62x39 shooting 180+gr bullets at subsonic levels.

Dolomite
Isn't that what the 300 Whisper was expressly designed for?

dolomite_supafly
10-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Next project is a 7.62x39 shooting 180+gr bullets at subsonic levels.

Dolomite
Isn't that what the 300 Whisper was expressly designed for?

Yep but I have the added advatage of being able to shoot CHEAP factory stuff also. Dies are cheaper as well. I have also done 7.62x25 loaded at subsonic levels.

Dolomite