PDA

View Full Version : Choate Ultimate Varmint Synthetic Stock

bsekf
10-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Looking for those who have messed with the Choate Ultimate Varmint/Target Synthetic Stock with the chassis.

Did you find the chassis to be accurate right out of the box or did you have to skim bed or rebuild the pillars? Or mess with it some other way?

They are so ugly that they might just work! I have read the other threads.

Bill

JeepsAndGuns
10-16-2019, 12:16 PM
I have 3 savages, and two of them have the ultimate varminter stocks. I really like them. They seem very stiff, and for me, very comfortable. I like the grip, but I could see how it might not fit other peoples hands. I did not have to "do" anything to them.
I have however had them both inletted by CDI for their bottom metal and use AICS style mags. That was the single best upgrade I did to them.

Robinhood
10-16-2019, 01:40 PM
I think they are a great inexpensive alternative to the high end chassis and tactical stocks. And you don't get upset when they are banged around. If you are just getting into long range there is few if any in that price range that will compare. A used H-S Precision goes for about the same if you can find one in untouched condition.

Shooter0302
10-16-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm with Robinhood & Jeepsand guns, I have two, one of a LA Savage and one on a 700 "RemAge" set up . Nothing required other that an inch/Lb. torque driver or some other method of tightening the action screws. Probably not necessary if you plan to leave the Bbl / action in the stock. BUT necessary if you plan to make a "swap Barrel" set up.

bsekf
10-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys! Knew I would get good info. Is the chassis more than just a piece of aluminum angle iron bedded in the stock? If you got over anxious could you tighten it enough to distort? Have any of you felt there was a reason to fill the angle iron with epoxy?
Bill

Robinhood
10-17-2019, 12:59 PM
It is bullet proof.

6mmBR_Shooter
10-18-2019, 01:27 PM
If you're unsure about the performance, read this artice and see what this guy is using for a stock...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/10/scottish-shooter-sets-uk-1000-yard-records-with-factory-savage/

charlie b
10-18-2019, 06:30 PM
That was pretty impressive.

bsekf
10-19-2019, 08:37 AM
OK, the search is on for a long action stagger feed. Was going to build a rear trigger hand gun with one of these.... but now want one for a rifle!

Bill

6mmBR_Shooter
10-19-2019, 09:31 AM
They come up on eBay every so often. I've generally seen them go anywhere from $75 up to $150.