PDA

View Full Version : 6mm hagler

Robinhood
10-16-2019, 12:42 AM
Been thinking about a new cartridge. A 223 bolthead and a 6 mm barrel. Thought it would use the 22 Nosler brass and a 6mm Hagar die and chamber. Thought I would call it the 6mm Hagler. Thoughts?

yobuck
10-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Many years ago like the early 50s, Remington introduced a new cartridge called the 222 Remington.
Not much later somebody got the idea of blowing out the case, creating a 222 Rem Mag.
Not much longer till somebody got the idea of necking that up to 6mm.
And it was called of all things a 6x47 Rem.
Remington even chambered their 40x rifles for that cartridge.
But that cartridge and a whole bunch of other good ideas died very quickly when 2 guys with names of Pindell and Palmisano came up with yet another good idea.
I think the Russians were involved somehow also, but there was never any big investigation into it.

Robinhood
10-16-2019, 11:58 AM
If I could find a PPC case that has the .378 rim that would be awesome. I guess PPC rim could be turned down, the Nosler brass does have a bad reputation after all.

yobuck
10-16-2019, 01:38 PM
Well with regard to that, also years back i had a custom Hart # 4 action which had a standard magnum bolt face.
I wanted a 30x378 Weatherby which at the time was a wildcat cartridge.
The gunsmith i was using just shook his head no when i asked him about doing it.
But a couple years later he asked me if i was still interested in doing that.
He turned down the 378 cases so they fit the bolt face on 100 cases for me.
What i actually had was a 300 ultra mag before there was a 300 ultra mag.
That of coarse has no bearing on wether or not that would work with the PPC, but in my opinion it would be worth experimenting.
Or you might ask Sharpshooter for his opinion.

Robinhood
10-16-2019, 01:46 PM
I think it would. I thought about using a Wilson trimer body in a collet, turning the rim to .378 and profiling the extractor relief until the 223 press case holder fit. Voila!

LoneWolf
10-16-2019, 02:08 PM
You just trying to mess around with a "winter" project or do you have specific goals you're trying to attain? I've been very happy with my results on the 22br path.

Robinhood
10-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Hey LoneWolf! Long time no see. I hope all has been going your way. So this is about retaining a case with a .378 rim. I know a guy that has a PTG Remington 223 action.The bolt has a Sako extractor machined in. The Remington action has a small loading port for the 223 cartridge. So we are looking to see his options without doing any machine work. Looking at the Extractor provision, I though the easiest path would be to rebate a PPC rimmed case. The 6mm Hagar and the 22 Nosler are very similar except for the rim. PT&G has a 6mm-22nosler reamer. If I'm not mistaken the Hagar dies will fit/work. Very similar capacity to the 6BR. I guess we could rebate the 6BR case. But If we did that why not go for anything from the 6BR to the 243 or anything in between.

You are right though. The journey is sometimes the priority. This one may give the ending as much of a reward.

LoneWolf
10-16-2019, 02:49 PM
I'd look into 6x45 or a 223ai before I started messing with turning case rims down to size. the 22 Nosler seemed to die just as fast as it came to market.... Accuracy was never more than barely acceptable in the reports I saw from those who took the plunge.

Is this action a single feed or magazine fed?

Robinhood
10-16-2019, 04:03 PM
He is has ruled out anything 22 caliber or 223 rem/204 Ruger case. He wants more powder than they offer. The 22 Nosler would only be for the brass.

Outside of the rim dimensions, the 22 Nosler case is a 6mm Hagar. Similar to but 100" longer than the 6.8 SPC case. The 6MM Hagar dies are available and will work.The 6mm Hagar is a accurate cartridge in the AR platform. Using the Nosler brass there is no machining required. Size, load and fire. If the Nosler brass proves to be junk the Hagar brass could be rebated. The machining it is not a problem if you have the tools and the knowledge.

Rebated rifle cartridges: 22 Nosler, the 284 Win, the 458 Socom, 50 Beowulf, 499 LWR, WSSM's WSM's, RUM's, SAUMS.

charlie b
10-18-2019, 07:44 PM
If you're going to be cutting new rims anyway then why not go to the .243, 6XC, 6PPC, 6BR, etc?

PS never mind, I saw the Nosler brass only needs to be sent through the resize die to get necked up.

243LPR
10-21-2019, 09:02 PM
I jumped on the 22 Nosler bandwagon early. Brass was horrible,rims were so beat up they wouldn't fit the shell holder,usually after the first firing. Switched to the NosGar version and am very happy with that. Only problem is when you run out of brass you have to buy 500 at a time when you can find it. Velocity gains aren't all that great though. My barrel is a 18" Ballistic Advantage.

J.Baker
10-21-2019, 09:29 PM
If I could find a PPC case that has the .378 rim that would be awesome. I guess PPC rim could be turned down, the Nosler brass does have a bad reputation after all.

You do know that Fred's been known to open .223 bolt heads for the PPC, right? Think he has some other tricks up his sleeve for running the PPC in a Savage.

LoneWolf
10-22-2019, 08:19 AM
You do know that Fred's been known to open .223 bolt heads for the PPC, right? Think he has some other tricks up his sleeve for running the PPC in a Savage.

#7 states it's a PTG Remington 223 action

J.Baker
10-22-2019, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I missed that.

LoneWolf
10-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I missed that.

Doesn't mean the bolt face couldn't be opened up though! I would lean towards anything other than cutting down case rims to make brass... If you find that route to be a possibility I'd have it opened up to .473 and again go to the BR case.

Robinhood
10-22-2019, 04:51 PM

With a Sako extractor

LoneWolf
10-25-2019, 01:53 PM
With a Sako extractor

After I replied to this comment I went looking through all the actions PTG lists. Guessing this must be an older one they did because I didn't see anything with a small "223 size" port.

Robinhood
10-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Actually it is one of their early stainless Remington 700 action builds. Trued .705 bolt raceway, PTG bolt with .375 bolt face and sako extractor. If there was a way to modify the extractor/the provision for the extractor, he would go oversize to a PPC size. The Primary extraction actually engages on this one.

yobuck
10-26-2019, 09:16 AM
Maybe the best place to start would be with a call to PTG about an action. Lol

Robinhood
10-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Maybe the best place to start would be with a call to PTG about an action. Lol

He has one Yobuck, he wanted a 223, later he thought he wanted to go bigger. This is not a Savage though. A new bolt is cost prohibitive and it would be a single load only. I think a 223 or one based on it or the 204 Ruger is his best bet. KISS