PDA

View Full Version : Another Bedding Question....

L.H. Clark
10-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Why do lots of people tape the front of the recoil lug? Doesn't this just put a gap in there that could create a problem? I can't get my little brain around it. Can someone help? (BillPa?) I just bedded a rifle of mine and just used release agent (wax) on my lug and all came out grand.

L.H.

bobcat30
10-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Its taped so you dont have the chance of getting a mechanical lock on lug. The back side of the lug is the important side to be zero tolerance. Makes taking and putting action in and out of stock much easier also. Congrats that yours went well.

hotbrass
10-27-2010, 02:29 PM
You only need to tape the front and bottom for clearance. The rest, in fact the whole thing can be coated with release agent.

Harriershot
10-28-2010, 10:56 AM
LH I do almost the same as you do. I put three layers of tape on only the bottom of the lug to make sure it never contacts that surface. I also take a small carbide tip to all the entry edges of the recoil lug slot in the bedding to make a small radius on all edges so that when I put the gun back together the lug does not chip off the edges.
My belief when building a rifle you want no play or looseness anywhere.
From the scope, to the rings, to the bases, to the action, to the stock, to the trigger guard, they all must be tight and as one.

Charlie

~Ace~
10-28-2010, 11:35 PM
The point of bedding is to make the Action rest in the stock with NO Stresses. The Rear of the recoil lug must be bedded for obvious reasons. The Front is normally Not bedded as it serves no purpose, And with Stock Flex can introduce Stress into the Action / Recoil Lug.

DGD6MM
10-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I've always bed mine like Darrell Holland, 1 layer of tape on the sides, 1 on the front, 2 on the bottom. This works for me. The first 2 rifles I ever bedded were Remington's without tape on the barrel lugs. What a tight fit. How tight? Too tight.

squirrelsniper
11-02-2010, 06:02 AM
The point of bedding is to make the Action rest in the stock with NO Stresses. The Rear of the recoil lug must be bedded for obvious reasons. The Front is normally Not bedded as it serves no purpose, And with Stock Flex can introduce Stress into the Action / Recoil Lug.

Ditto. I generally do 2 layers of masking tape on front, sides and bottom of recoil lug. The only places I'm worried about having a perfect fit (the goal of bedding) are the load-bearing areas (rear of recoil lug and area around the action screws), anything else could have a visible gap and I wouldn't care.