PDA

View Full Version : Painting Savage Tactical stock ?

Shooter0302
10-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Just thinking ahead, has anyone painted one of these stocks ?? If so, please list your process so others can benefit from your knowledge. Since Savage uses the same stock on a few of their models , I didn't list just one, except in the title.

J.Baker
10-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Biggest thing is to spray it down really well with degreaser (carburetor cleaner works well) to ensure all the mold release is removed prior to painting. If you don't you'll likely get spots where there was some residue and the paint won't stick and will start flaking off in short order. From there you want to use a good primer - one designed for use on plastic. Most use Krylon's camo paint, or if not doing a camo job they'll use Krylon Fusion which is designed for plastic and has a flex agent in it.

6mmBR_Shooter
10-12-2019, 11:05 PM
Not sure if this is the same tupperware material as the older stocks, but I scuff the hell out of a stock when I paint it and then use a high build primer to help fill in any deeper sandpaper marks. The paint suitable for plastic is a must unless you want cracks and flaking, as mentioned above.