PDA

View Full Version : Model 16 LWH Stock Replacement

Apollo117
10-11-2019, 11:01 PM
Like many folks I am not a fan of the flexible synthetic stock that comes with the model 16 LWH. I have thought of a few ways to replace the factory stock.

Option 1. Buy a takeoff model 11 LWH stock. I am usually not a fan of wooden stocks, but I like the model 16 LWH stock. (If anybody has a model 16 LWH takeoff stock, please let me know)

Option 2. Contact Stockade and order their most lightweight stock. I am hoping they have something that weighs less than 32oz. I prefer this option over a McMillan or Manners.

Option 3. I have read that the model 11 receiver will fit in a Lady Hunter stock. I am not opposed to this option as I like Monte Carlo style stocks. However, I am not a fan of the reduced LOP. Are there any other wooden stocks that the model 16 receiver will fit in?

I know there are some other threads on this topic, but none that mention other wooden stocks that the model 16 LWH receiver can fit in. If anybody has experience changing the stock on their LWH I'd be glad to hear about it.

J.Baker
10-12-2019, 06:04 AM
Your 16 LWH receiver will fit into any newer short-action Savage stock with 4.40" screw spacing, the problem is not all of them are compatible with the Axis-style magazine that the LWH uses. The two options to get around that would be to either a) go to a blind magazine, or b) buy the bottom metal and metal magazine cap and convert your gun over to the premium style DBM.

The blind mag option really isn't all that feasible (though you think it would be) simply because blind mag 4.40" stocks are more scarce than those that will accept the Axis mag's. That leave converting to the premium style mag, which will add a bit of weight to the LWH which most don't want to do.

Unfortunately, if you want a truly lightweight stock for a Savage (under 30oz.) you're pretty much limited to Manners or McMillan which means a high price and long wait time.

grouse
10-12-2019, 07:22 AM
The Woodstock remodel 11 light weight Hunter will need modification for the model 16 to fit. The receiver on the model 11lwh which they’re not making any more are slightly narrower. In terms of a light weight stock, mcmillan stopped making savages with their edge fill or their lightweight fill due to warranty claims. And stockades new Fill is heavier than their old fill. So you’re quite limited to stock options. Manners is about the best choice. Plan for a 8 month wait

Apollo117
10-12-2019, 04:50 PM
The Woodstock remodel 11 light weight Hunter will need modification for the model 16 to fit. The receiver on the model 11lwh which they’re not making any more are slightly narrower. In terms of a light weight stock, mcmillan stopped making savages with their edge fill or their lightweight fill due to warranty claims. And stockades new Fill is heavier than their old fill. So you’re quite limited to stock options. Manners is about the best choice. Plan for a 8 month waitThanks for the info. It sounds like if I wanted to use a model 11 LWH stock I'd have to remove some material. That's fine. It gives me an excuse to bed the action.

Apollo117
10-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Well, it looks like I need to keep my eyes open for the rare chance someone posts a lightweight Manners or model 11 LWH stock in the Classifieds.