PDA

View Full Version : One More Accutrigger Question

LuvmyLRP
10-10-2019, 01:42 PM
OK, Lots of accutrigger posts, but I can't find this one in any of them. I am building a 6.5 CM on a M10 short action. I have everything but the trigger. Guess what? but you already know the question. Why doesn't someone build a complete drop in target trigger for a Savage? I asked Jim and he told me to buy a Remington or Rem clone. Have you looked at the sear on an accutrigger under magnification? I looked at several of mine and it's scary. The tool marks are almost as big as the sear contact edge. No way to polish them. The Rifle Basics only supplies half of the sear mechanism and uses the old one for the firing pin release side. It is not a true dropin like a Remington. You still have half of the unpolished sear. I don't know what kind of finish the Rifle Basics has because I don't want to spend that kind of money for a pig in a poke. As I get further and further into accuracy shooting it looks like I might have to take Jim's advice and go Remington on anything that I really want to go all out on.
Not *****ing just preparing to move on. I'll still shoot my Savages but look elsewhere for an action to trick out.

olddav
10-10-2019, 05:15 PM
OK but to answer your first question, Jard offers a trigger that has its own sear. You will however will need to use your existing safety.

olddav
10-10-2019, 05:18 PM
and you can polish the sear.

Robinhood
10-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Bighorn with a Triggertech is a good place to start and you can use your spare barrels too.

J.Baker
10-10-2019, 07:41 PM
SSS used to in their evolution trigger, but the demand just wasn't there so it was discontinued. It used the factory sear just like most aftermarket triggers and would easily adjust down to 2-4 ounces on a trued and timed action.

Once Savage came out with the Target AccuTrigger the demand for aftermarket triggers went way, way down as 99.9% of shooters don't need anything lighter than what it offers.

LuvmyLRP
10-10-2019, 08:03 PM
and you can polish the sear.
When I said that you can't polish the sear,I was talking about practicality. It has some very close tolerance angles and the notch is so small and tight
. I have polished 1911 and AR15 triggers with jigs, but this one is too close. I got chill bumps watching some You Tube clips of guys taking dremel tools to Accutrigers
.Like I said, I had to magnify it to get a good look at the working parts. That trigger is just not one I want to tackle for safety's sake. Just my old cautious self.

LuvmyLRP
10-10-2019, 08:13 PM
I did not know about the Jard. Thought I had exhausted the search for aftermarket Savage triggers. I'll check into it. I got all excited when I saw all the Trigger Tech triggers listed by NSS till I saw that they were all for 700's.

J.Baker
10-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Elfmann Tactical is supposed to be coming out with a new trigger for Savage's, but I haven't heard or seen anything more about it since they first contacted me about reviewing one back in July. I didn't get too excited about it as from what they told me it would only adjust down to 1 or 1.5 pounds, which to me is kind of pointless considering you can get that with the AccuTrigger quite easily for little to no money. The one thing different about it was that it was a flat trigger rather than curved.

Texas10
10-10-2019, 09:24 PM
I've been buying Target Accutriggers off the boards here and retrofitting my model 12FV actions that have been fitted with aftermarket barrels and stocks. I have a target trigger on a 12FV action and 308 Shilen select match barrel that is set so light I'm having issues breaking the shot before I'm ready. There are often Red Blade Target Accutriggers available when Savage owners upgrade triggers.

Shooter0302
10-12-2019, 04:16 PM
There are often Red Blade Target Accutriggers GOOD to know,and I'll watch the classifieds.
Just ordered a Tactical and going to try shooting it left hand while working the bolt with my right hand, so I will see what I can get the OME trigger down to. Then ??