PDA

View Full Version : 300 PRC Barrel

James John
10-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Who is the best at getting a prefix 300 prc barrel for my 110 long action these days? I’ve been out the game for a minute so wanting to take this 7 mag in a different direction

Robinhood
10-08-2019, 09:32 PM
James, You said that was an older action. Take a look at the bolthead to make sure it is the modern design with a flat barrel breach.

James John
10-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Guy I got it from said it’s 12yrs old atleast. I will check it when I get back by my house

Robinhood
10-09-2019, 02:32 PM
You are good to go with a prefit purchased from any of our site sponsors or any that you choose like Bugholes.com.

James John
10-09-2019, 09:47 PM
You are good to go with a prefit purchased from any of our site sponsors or any that you choose like Bugholes.com.

Thanks I will check the offerings. I had a Rock Creek in my last custom gun

Shooter0302
10-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Contact them all, or at least the ones that support this site. I take it that your action will take a standard shank Bbl. ??

psharon97
10-09-2019, 10:29 PM
First place I would go to would be Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. He usually keeps finished barrels in stock from Criterion and Shilen. I've ordered both kinds from him and they are shooters.

If you want a cut rifled barrel fairly quick (around 4 weeks), check out Southern Precision rifles. I had them do a 300 Norma Magnum. The quoted time was what they delivered. They keep several cut rifle blanks from different manufacturers. You tell them what you want, and they will get it to you.

James John
10-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Contact them all, or at least the ones that support this site. I take it that your action will take a standard shank Bbl. ??

Im still waiting to get by my house to confirm what Robin has asked me to look at to check it out

Robinhood
10-10-2019, 04:12 AM
JJ, based on the age of the rifle I think you are good to go.

Southern Precision Rifles = Bugholes.com

https://www.bugholes.com/

Shooter0302
10-10-2019, 08:53 AM
JJ, based on the age of the rifle I think you are good to go.

Southern Precision Rifles = Bugholes.com

https://www.bugholes.com/

I don't think Bughole had any PRC reamers 300 or 6.5, As was suggested Northland shooters supply, that was you can you can check two Bbl. makers for your reamer. Also, look at X-Caliber.
The reason I asked about the thread size on your action , in another thread it was suggested that a 6.5 PRC build would require a large shank, ie, large shank action. But checking Northlands site, on Critration chamberings, only SAUM cases require a Lg. shank. And FYI, they do not list either PRC chamberings.

Robinhood
10-10-2019, 09:33 AM
I don't think Bughole had any PRC reamers 300 or 6.5, As was suggested Northland shooters supply, that was you can you can check two Bbl. makers for your reamer. Also, look at X-Caliber.
The reason I asked about the thread size on your action , in another thread it was suggested that a 6.5 PRC build would require a large shank, ie, large shank action. But checking Northlands site, on Critration chamberings, only SAUM cases require a Lg. shank. And FYI, they do not list either PRC chamberings.

Not sure were you got your information on Bugholes/Southern Precision not having either the 6.5 PRC or the 300PRC reamer. According to Greg Young(owner) at Bugholes they have the 6.5 PRC with .130" freebore and the 300 PRC with the SAAMI freebore.

Shooter0302
10-10-2019, 11:05 AM
This AM I googled "Bughole barrels" and got the OLD BH site that listed the reamers, I guess between 08:00 and now 10:05 they changed to the new web site. Will have to see if I can find their listing for reamers, List of reamers, is not listed on their web site
Unless you are in a dire hurry , BLACK FRIDAY,& Christmas, ie; Christmas sales aren't that far off.

James John
10-10-2019, 12:33 PM
This AM I googled "Bughole barrels" and got the OLD BH site that listed the reamers, I guess between 08:00 and now 10:05 they changed to the new web site. Will have to see if I can find their listing for reamers, List of reamers, is not listed on their web site
Unless you are in a dire hurry , BLACK FRIDAY,& Christmas, ie; Christmas sales aren't that far off.

Yea I’m gonna wait on sales. I’m still trying finish up things on other projects

Robinhood
10-10-2019, 05:41 PM

You may have looked up a different site. I have used the same site for over a year. He has never listed reamers. Ragged hole barrels list reamers if I remember correctly.

James John
10-10-2019, 08:33 PM
I’m pretty sure I have a new bolt design. That’s what it looks like

https://www.google.com/search?q=savage+bolt+head&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwip_rmK-pLlAhWzJjQIHdEeDxIQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=375&bih=635#imgrc=HXMQOR5y9-7l1M

coance
10-11-2019, 06:54 PM
FYI NSS can do a 300 PRC in a Shilen but not a CBI. CBI won't do it on a small shank if I remember correctly. Greg at southern precision rifle has a 300 reamer and does excellent work. I have 2 barrels from him. One is a 300 PRC. Both are Bartlien and shoot very well. I also have several CBI barrels and love them. Hope this helps.