PDA

View Full Version : How to build a hornet

bbassi
10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
soooo, say I was looking for a winter project and I wanted to build a 22 hornet. What Savage action could I/should I start with? Is a standard model 10 type SA going to be too big for the little hornet round? I know Savage has their little model 40, but being a lefty they just aren't interested in selling me one. does anyone make a savage aftermarket in 22 hornet? More questions than answers right now. Thanks,

82boy
10-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Well,
The problem is coming up with a bolt head that will work with the Hornet. It would have to be custom made. I would look into the 221 fireball. uses a 223 bolt head, and has similar performance.

hailstone
10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
There are a few other manufacturers who make left handed bolt action rifles in 22 Hornet if memory serves. Additionally there are numberous single shot rifles being marketed. It would be possible to make one of the short action models work as a single shot but as a repeater it would be quite a project. My suggestion would be too find an older Savage Model 340 Series E or Stevens Model 342. They were well made repeaters with a five round detachable clip using the Savage barrel nut setup. Only problem with them is necessitity of using the Weaver side mount for a scope. Ones in my collection shoot sub MOA with my standard reload I use in all my hornets.