PDA

View Full Version : 0.25” moa with Federal premium 30-06 with 165 accubonds.

RustyShackle
10-06-2019, 10:35 PM
All righty there fellas and gals,

I’m curious if anyone knows what powder and primer combo they’re using to construct these loads? On a whim I bought a box to try,.... and I’m getting about 0.25” moa in my 116 for performance. This is every bit as good as my best reloads. I haven’t measured velocity but I’m thinking it will be on par with the 2800fps claim based on drop. I might just be spending less time at the reload bench.

Ted_Feasel
10-07-2019, 07:03 AM

I’m curious if anyone knows what powder and primer combo they’re using to construct these loads? On a whim I bought a box to try,.... and I’m getting about 0.25” moa in my 116 for performance. This is every bit as good as my best reloads. I haven’t measured velocity but I’m thinking it will be on par with the 2800fps claim based on drop. I might just be spending less time at the reload bench.It's a proprietary blend. I think all factory ammo is tweaked with their own formulas. On another note, IMR-4895 & H4895 are what I use in 308 and 30.06 with stellar results, regular CCI LR primers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ted_Feasel
10-07-2019, 07:07 AM

I’m curious if anyone knows what powder and primer combo they’re using to construct these loads? On a whim I bought a box to try,.... and I’m getting about 0.25” moa in my 116 for performance. This is every bit as good as my best reloads. I haven’t measured velocity but I’m thinking it will be on par with the 2800fps claim based on drop. I might just be spending less time at the reload bench.Another option is to take samples to purdue university (or your state probably has schools that do it) for a small fee, they use equipment that precisely can record all the characteristics of a burn and then tell to what powder sample most closely resembles the control sample you provide.

J.Baker
10-07-2019, 07:17 AM
The Federal Big Game loads with the 165gr AccuBond in both .30-06 and .308 Win have proven to be by-far the best shooting and most consistent factory loads I've shot in both calibers.

mikeinco
10-07-2019, 01:57 PM
" I’m getting about 0.25” moa in my 116 "
you should be more specific about your claim of " .25 moa".
is this 5 shots at 100 yards or ???
i have no issue with a HUNTING rifle shooting 3 shot groups.
if you have a rifle that consistently shoot .25 moa, you should enter a 100 yard bench rest match.
you will not get 1st place you you will do well.

charlie b
10-07-2019, 04:06 PM
You didn't say which Federal premium, but, yes, their premium ammo is good stuff, especially if it uses Sierra bullets (Game King or Match King). If I could afford it I'd just buy Gold Medal Match ammo. Since I cannot I reload and cast my own .308 bullets.

Ted_Feasel
10-07-2019, 05:54 PM
You didn't say which Federal premium, but, yes, their premium ammo is good stuff, especially if it uses Sierra bullets (Game King or Match King). If I could afford it I'd just buy Gold Medal Match ammo. Since I cannot I reload and cast my own .308 bullets.I've thought about trying some hard casts, my friend swears they are more accurate than hornady, sierra, burger etc.. what's your opinion? Fouling trouble ? Do you gas check them? Sorry to grill you, just curious and been thinking about trying them.

charlie b
10-07-2019, 09:51 PM
I started casting back in the 80's. Mostly for pistols but also some for rifles and muzzle loaders. The initial investment is a bit stiff, but, if you keep going at it there is eventually a payoff.

Compared to normal hunting bullets they can be just as accurate. But, they are not as good as match bullets unless you become very good at making bullets. For example, I am very happy to get a 1" or even 1.5" group at 100yd with cast bullets. I would be disappointed if Sierra Match Kings were bigger than .75" and would expect them to be closer to 0.5". Just look at cast bullet bench rest matches and see how they do.

Most of the time the best accuracy with cast are below 2000fps with the .30cal. Yes, above 1500fps you use gas checks with the lube. Just about any decent lube will prevent leading below 2000fps. Above that and you have to find a good lube as well as gas check. It can be done but adds more factors into the process. There are many people shoot full power loads with hard cast gas checked bullets but I am not one of them when loading for rifles.

A major key to cast bullet accuracy is fitting the bullet to your throat, grooves and bore. 0.001" off in dia or too big a jump to the lands and they can be horrible. There are a ton of different cast bullets to choose from and there is a huge difference in how your rifle will handle different designs.

Casting bullets can be very satisfying....and it can also be very frustrating. If you want to try it I suggest trying pistol bullets first, especially revolver or .45ACP. They are much more forgiving to bullet alloy, flaws in bullets and lube.

Last, check on where you would get the bullet alloy. If you have to order it then cost becomes a factor depending on where you live.

You can try some cast bullets to see how well they do. Either through one of the big suppliers or from a small business like Montana Bullet Works. I like Montana for another reason. You can buy the same mold they use. So you can try out several different designs without having to buy the molds up front. Then just buy the mold and sizing dies of the bullet that works the best.

Ted_Feasel
10-08-2019, 06:46 AM
I started casting back in the 80's. Mostly for pistols but also some for rifles and muzzle loaders. The initial investment is a bit stiff, but, if you keep going at it there is eventually a payoff.

Compared to normal hunting bullets they can be just as accurate. But, they are not as good as match bullets unless you become very good at making bullets. For example, I am very happy to get a 1" or even 1.5" group at 100yd with cast bullets. I would be disappointed if Sierra Match Kings were bigger than .75" and would expect them to be closer to 0.5". Just look at cast bullet bench rest matches and see how they do.

Most of the time the best accuracy with cast are below 2000fps with the .30cal. Yes, above 1500fps you use gas checks with the lube. Just about any decent lube will prevent leading below 2000fps. Above that and you have to find a good lube as well as gas check. It can be done but adds more factors into the process. There are many people shoot full power loads with hard cast gas checked bullets but I am not one of them when loading for rifles.

A major key to cast bullet accuracy is fitting the bullet to your throat, grooves and bore. 0.001" off in dia or too big a jump to the lands and they can be horrible. There are a ton of different cast bullets to choose from and there is a huge difference in how your rifle will handle different designs.

Casting bullets can be very satisfying....and it can also be very frustrating. If you want to try it I suggest trying pistol bullets first, especially revolver or .45ACP. They are much more forgiving to bullet alloy, flaws in bullets and lube.

Last, check on where you would get the bullet alloy. If you have to order it then cost becomes a factor depending on where you live.

You can try some cast bullets to see how well they do. Either through one of the big suppliers or from a small business like Montana Bullet Works. I like Montana for another reason. You can buy the same mold they use. So you can try out several different designs without having to buy the molds up front. Then just buy the mold and sizing dies of the bullet that works the best.Awesome, thanks for the info.. I was definitely going to start learning doing it for my revolvers. My friend has lots of equipment that he either has duplicates of or has upgraded and offered to get me alot of what I need to get started. He said wheel weights are perfect because they already contain the correct mixture of lead, tin and antimony and the junkyard here will give me those by the bucket full for next to nothing. Sounds like for rifles I may just stick with my Sierra's and hornady. Do you have one mixture you use or different depending on use?

charlie b
10-08-2019, 06:37 PM
Wheel weights are great for pistol bullets and low velocity rifle loads. I used them for many many years. Now days they are harder to come by so thank the guys at the junkyard.

Now days for rifles I use Lyman #2 or Linotype.

Ted_Feasel
10-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Wheel weights are great for pistol bullets and low velocity rifle loads. I used them for many many years. Now days they are harder to come by so thank the guys at the junkyard.

Now days for rifles I use Lyman #2 or Linotype.Definitely appreciate the information.. I think I'm going to give it a shot (pun intended lol) on ammo for my revolvers:)

RustyShackle
10-09-2019, 11:27 AM
" I’m getting about 0.25” moa in my 116 "
you should be more specific about your claim of " .25 moa".
is this 5 shots at 100 yards or ???
i have no issue with a HUNTING rifle shooting 3 shot groups.
if you have a rifle that consistently shoot .25 moa, you should enter a 100 yard bench rest match.
you will not get 1st place you you will do well.

This is with 3 shot groups from a factory rifle, ranges vary from 100 to 300 yards. I have to drive considerably farther if I want to stretch distance past that. This is a hunting rifle, I guess I could shoot a 5 round group, just for kicks, but I don’t see the application in a hunting rifle. The rifle is a tack driver as far as factory rifles go. Usually most ammo (reload or factory)is 3/4” or less through it. Not trying to claim it’s ready to head to a bench rest competition, although it might raise some eyebrows. lol. Glass is a leupold VX3i 3.5-10

I was just curious if anyone knew the recipe they were using. I was just a bit surprised to see that level of performance in a load designed for hunting. There’s a world of difference in a 1/4” vs 1/2” vs 3/4”.

mikeinco
10-09-2019, 11:36 AM
There’s a world of difference in a 1/4” vs 1/2” vs 3/4”.

not really in a big game 300 yard shot IMHO

thanks for the reply

Ted_Feasel
10-09-2019, 03:17 PM
This is with 3 shot groups from a factory rifle, ranges vary from 100 to 300 yards. I have to drive considerably farther if I want to stretch distance past that. This is a hunting rifle, I guess I could shoot a 5 round group, just for kicks, but I don’t see the application in a hunting rifle. The rifle is a tack driver as far as factory rifles go. Usually most ammo (reload or factory)is 3/4” or less through it. Not trying to claim it’s ready to head to a bench rest competition, although it might raise some eyebrows. lol. Glass is a leupold VX3i 3.5-10

I was just curious if anyone knew the recipe they were using. I was just a bit surprised to see that level of performance in a load designed for hunting. There’s a world of difference in a 1/4” vs 1/2” vs 3/4”.The load my shilen barreled rifle seems to like 28" bull barrel 44gr w748 cci LR primers, 178gr ELD M or 175 gr SMK both get me same hole 5 shot group@100 yards if I do my part. I've done it with both lake city and starline brass fire formed and neck sized only. May be slightly bigger than same hole but very hard to tell it's so close. I was zeroing the scope but once zeroed, they all pretty much it the same homehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/b2dd9f431c6f59f8bd971b43887b146b.jpg

mikeinco
10-09-2019, 06:09 PM
what kind of a HUNTING RIFLE IS THIS ?
( AS IN STAY ON TOPIC...)

The load my shilen barreled rifle seems to like 28" bull barrel 44gr w748 cci LR primers, 178gr ELD M or 175 gr SMK both get me same hole 5 shot group@100 yards if I do my part. I've done it with both lake city and starline brass fire formed and neck sized only. May be slightly bigger than same hole but very hard to tell it's so close. I was zeroing the scope but once zeroed, they all pretty much it the same homehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/b2dd9f431c6f59f8bd971b43887b146b.jpg

Ted_Feasel
10-09-2019, 06:30 PM
what kind of a HUNTING RIFLE IS THIS ?
( AS IN STAY ON TOPIC...)I hunt with it:) it's taken couple hogs and deer.

RustyShackle
10-10-2019, 01:25 AM
not really in a big game 300 yard shot IMHO

thanks for the reply

Well, I suppose not as far as minute of big game is concerned. I plastered a five ringer today at 100 yds. One ragged hole and flier for total group of ~0.375”.