PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Pennsylvania

Skipp
09-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Hi there.
Just joined today. I have been shooting since I was about 5 or 6 [back in 1956 or so], and own 2 M99's [both in .300 Savage]. One is what my dad bought me before I was old enough to hunt, and the other is his, that he bought in the late 40's. I am about ready to retire from teaching in a year and a half [I'll be 70 and it will be time]. Since I will have more free time, I'm looking to add a .22 to my collection. I have been considering the B22 fvss [left handed], for small game hunting out to a max of 100 yds (more likely max of 75 yds] and informal target and plinking out to about 150 yds. What are your ideas about this rifle for this general all-round shooting? I am also considering a M110 Storm in 7mm/08 for whitetail deer hunting here in PA. What are your experiences with these two models?

Skipp

drybean
09-30-2019, 08:01 PM
Welcome aboard

Skipp
09-30-2019, 08:35 PM
Welcome aboard

Thank you.

Higtoo
09-30-2019, 08:57 PM
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JW
10-01-2019, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the forum Skipp
You might have better response to your question if you ask it again in the rimfire section.
Sorry as I am no help with information on the B22
Jack

yobuck
10-01-2019, 08:20 AM
What part of PA?
As for the guns, Both my dad and older brother had model 99s in 300 Sav both bought new in the late 40s at a store on Mill st in Bristol.
I wish i still owned at least one of them. Both had the schnable forend and the brass rotary magazine with the round counter on the receiver.
As for the rim fire, a 22 is always a nice thing to own, especially if you enjoy Squirrel hunting.
But, since your 70 or soon to be, i can assure you you will very soon be 80 and counting.
Will you be still able to walk the woods? Or will you need to be satisfied with slowly driving along the back dirt mountain roads?
A 22 mag would be an excellent choice for the Grouse you will be apt to see on occaission, as well a turkey, although a 223 is better for those. I keep both guns with me, and have little problem with getting a few Grouse and a Turkey pretty regularly. Rainy days are actually good for the Grouse, but you might have more competition from the nay sayers also on those type days.
Go for the body, not the head. Lol

ttexastom
10-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Welcome from georgia

Balljoint
10-02-2019, 10:42 AM
WELCOME TO THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BARREL NUT. were in Pa are you as i live in Southeast Pa.

J.Baker
10-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Welcome

Skipp
10-02-2019, 07:11 PM
I b

Skipp
10-02-2019, 07:15 PM
WELCOME TO THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BARREL NUT. were in Pa are you as i live in Southeast Pa.
I live in Berwick, PA. About 30 miles south of Wilkes-Barre in NEPA

Skipp
10-02-2019, 07:16 PM
What part of PA?
As for the guns, Both my dad and older brother had model 99s in 300 Sav both bought new in the late 40s at a store on Mill st in Bristol.
I wish i still owned at least one of them. Both had the schnable forend and the brass rotary magazine with the round counter on the receiver.
As for the rim fire, a 22 is always a nice thing to own, especially if you enjoy Squirrel hunting.
But, since your 70 or soon to be, i can assure you you will very soon be 80 and counting.
Will you be still able to walk the woods? Or will you need to be satisfied with slowly driving along the back dirt mountain roads?
A 22 mag would be an excellent choice for the Grouse you will be apt to see on occaission, as well a turkey, although a 223 is better for those. I keep both guns with me, and have little problem with getting a few Grouse and a Turkey pretty regularly. Rainy days are actually good for the Grouse, but you might have more competition from the nay sayers also on those type days.
Go for the body, not the head. Lol

i'm from Berwick, PA. Although I am closing in on 70 yrs of experience, I still get out chasing turkeys up and down the mountains, having played sports my whole life. Still get out bluelining small mt streams for native brookies, so hopefully, I have some years of outdoor activity left in me. Both my M99's have the schnabel forends with the brass counters. Kind of cool.

GaCop
10-07-2019, 07:34 AM
Welcome, glad to have ya.

Stumpkiller
10-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Welcome from further up North of you in NY

mark r
10-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Welcome from Michigan. I also own grand-dads 1924 mod. G in .300 savage. Nice to have ya aboard.

yobuck
10-08-2019, 08:56 AM
i'm from Berwick, PA. Although I am closing in on 70 yrs of experience, I still get out chasing turkeys up and down the mountains, having played sports my whole life. Still get out bluelining small mt streams for native brookies, so hopefully, I have some years of outdoor activity left in me. Both my M99's have the schnabel forends with the brass counters. Kind of cool.

I assume blulining means sneaking up on a small stream with a long rod and just dropping a line in ?
Problem i always had was getting the rod thru the woods. Carrying it backwards helped, but it still required great care.
In the past few years I’ve had to switch gears on how i do things. So I’ve become a Pan fisherman, mostly Crappies, and always from a boat. Also target large Blugills and Red ears, (shellcrackers).
B n M pole co makes a variety of rods for pan fishermen, Crappies in particular.
Check out their line, especially the telescopic models. The ultra lite 9’ (Little Jewell) telescopic rod would in my opinion be just the ticket for carrying thru the woods for those Trout. The 10’ Black Widow model would work also, but it isn’t ultra lite.
Down here you can buy those type rods for less than $10 in a good tackle shop.
I have a dozen or more on my boat all the time up to 14’ length.

ragsflh
10-15-2019, 05:50 PM
welcome