PDA

View Full Version : Longer barrel for longer .223 bullet?

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
10-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Well then since you're new, let's get to "bottom lines". 223 ain't the way to go with long range...sorta like scratching your back with a claw hammer...can be done and it works but you're glad when it's over. Long range is better done with 6mm. You can buy a Savage already chambered in something like a 6mm Creedmoor and be way ahead of the 223 stuff AND probably spend less than with a "custom super duper barrel."

Exactly, if shooting that far is the goal, start with a different gun.
First off velocity isn’t created by barrel legnth, its created by pressure, caused by gas, caused by powder burning.
Every cartridge/ bullet combination has an ideal powder, which is why we test loads.
YES, the larger cases like the larger magnums prefer slower burning powder, and hence the need for a longer barrel.
But, even those aren’t as long today as in past years due to newer powder choices.
I have no idea as to why some competitors are using 30” barrels with 223s, but it has nothing to do with obtaining the needed velocity.
Accuracy is the desirable goal, not max velocity. A few more clicks on a scope offsets that anyway.

charlie b
10-05-2019, 09:56 PM
This is probably not applicable for the OP since it seems to me that he already owns a .223 and is looking to increase his shooting skills without buying a new rifle.

I ended up with a .223 for several reasons.

1. I wanted to be able to use cheap ammo
2. I wanted decent barrel life
3. Inexpensive rifle with a heavy barrel
4. Decent accuracy at shorter ranges.

Walmart had their package Axis in .223 HB so I bought it. At the time I had no intention of shooting beyond 200yd and I didn't even plan on reloading at the time.

Well, turned out that the cheap ammo wasn't very accurate. I made the mistake of getting some Gold Medal Match and put 10 rounds into less than an inch at 100yd and 1.5" at 200yd. I couldn't afford to keep buying that stuff so I went back to reloading (I had put all my stuff in storage).

Other circumstances have also changed, one of which was a move back to southern NM from the southeast. That meant instead of being limited to a 200yd range I have a 1000yd range to use.

I do love the lack of recoil. I can concentrate on my shooting technique rather than 'fighting' the recoil of larger caliber.

So, out of the initial reasons for buying the .223, not many apply much anymore. But, this darn thing is accurate enough to keep my interest.

One day, if the barrel ever wears out, I will have to decide on staying with a .223 or moving up to something else.

I do agree that if you are looking for a long range rifle I'd go with something a bit bigger, especially given the availability of the 6.5CM in similar packages for same kind of money. If you are serious about 1000yd or more then other calibers might be preferable. Of course, if a custom barrel is considered then the buyer should pick his purpose and choose a cartridge that suits that purpose.

sloboataz
10-06-2019, 06:04 PM
CharlieB has it. If I want to go to 1k, I'll borrow my son's .308 Tac rifle, and use up HIS ammo! I believe I mentioned that. When deciding to buy, considering it's my first foray, costs, including reloading, were a deciding factor in choosing the .223 over the equally common, and more capable, .308. I even looked at .243, .260, .270and, of course, 6 and 6.5. My initial success with the Axis makes me want to test it's limits. I do understand the diff tween a 300BC bullet vs a 400+ at 1k in a side wind. While there are people shooting .223 1k, that's not my intention and I apologize if I gave that impression. 500ish will be the max. I'm bangin steel at 300 with 50gr FBs, so I've explored FB vs BT. I've read articles about cutting barrel to find the optimum length, but see people very happy with longer barrels. I'm simply trying to expand my knowledge, maybe determine an optimum direction to take from here when I get back home. Nothing is set in stone. Thanks again.